[newbie] install problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Amit Rao, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Amit Rao

    Amit Rao Guest

    I am trying to install ruby on mingw32 (on XP) ...
    it worked fine for (or at least did not give me any errors) the
    initial few steps.The make files were generated and the test succeded
    as well.

    but when i tried "make install" i get the following error

    $ make install
    /miniruby.exe ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --make="make" --mflags="-
    --unix" --make-flags=" --unix" --mantype="man"
    mkdir -p -m 755 //home/user/bin //home/user/lib
    //home/user/lib/ruby/1.8 //home/user/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mingw32
    //home/user/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
    //home/user/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt
    D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:196:in `mkdir':
    Invalid argument - // (Errno::EINVAL)
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:196:in `makedirs'
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:194:in
    `reverse_each'
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:194:in `makedirs'
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:180:in `each'
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:180:in `makedirs'
    from D:/msys/1.0/home/user/ruby-1.8.2/lib/fileutils.rb:959:in `makedirs'
    from ./instruby.rb:71:in `makedirs'
    from ./instruby.rb:99
    make: *** [install-nodoc] Error 1

    What could i be missing???

    Thanks,
    Amit
     
    Amit Rao, Nov 17, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Amit Rao

    Matt Mower Guest

    Hi.

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:13:34 +0900, Amit Rao <> wrote:
    > I am trying to install ruby on mingw32 (on XP) ...
    > it worked fine for (or at least did not give me any errors) the
    > initial few steps.The make files were generated and the test succeded
    > as well.
    >
    > but when i tried "make install" i get the following error
    >


    When you ran ./configure what --prefix did you specify?

    Regards,

    Matt
     
    Matt Mower, Nov 17, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Amit Rao

    Amit Rao Guest

    when i ran ./configure specified /$HOME as the --prefix


    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:56:13 +0900, Matt Mower <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:13:34 +0900, Amit Rao <> wrote:
    > > I am trying to install ruby on mingw32 (on XP) ...
    > > it worked fine for (or at least did not give me any errors) the
    > > initial few steps.The make files were generated and the test succeded
    > > as well.
    > >
    > > but when i tried "make install" i get the following error
    > >

    >
    > When you ran ./configure what --prefix did you specify?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Matt
    >
    >
     
    Amit Rao, Nov 18, 2004
    #3
  4. Amit Rao wrote:
    > when i ran ./configure specified /$HOME as the --prefix
    >
    >
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:56:13 +0900, Matt Mower <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:13:34 +0900, Amit Rao <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am trying to install ruby on mingw32 (on XP) ...
    >>>it worked fine for (or at least did not give me any errors) the
    >>>initial few steps.The make files were generated and the test succeded
    >>>as well.
    >>>
    >>>but when i tried "make install" i get the following error
    >>>

    >>
    >>When you ran ./configure what --prefix did you specify?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Matt
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >

    Maybe I'm wrongly thinking You're using the Msys shell, but in it:

    ALiminality@localhost /
    $ /$HOME
    sh: //home/ALiminality: No such file or directory
    guess this is why it fails...

    ALiminality@localhost /
    $ /HOME
    sh: /HOME: is a directory

    ALiminality@localhost /
    $ $HOME
    sh: /home/ALiminality: is a directory

    so /$HOME won't work maybe You want $HOME ? , either don't add a
    prefix(personally I never use that, just configure --enable-shared,make,
    make install) or use --prefix=/c/ruby, guess /ruby should also work(or
    wherever you want it to be).


    regards
     
    Osuka Adartse, Nov 18, 2004
    #4
  5. Amit Rao

    Amit Rao Guest

    Osuka, i am using MSYS..
    i tried the configure without any prefix..this has worked for me ...

    Thanks,
    Amit


    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:23:36 +0900, Osuka Adartse
    <> wrote:
    > Amit Rao wrote:
    >
    >
    > > when i ran ./configure specified /$HOME as the --prefix
    > >
    > >
    > > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:56:13 +0900, Matt Mower <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi.
    > >>
    > >>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:13:34 +0900, Amit Rao <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>I am trying to install ruby on mingw32 (on XP) ...
    > >>>it worked fine for (or at least did not give me any errors) the
    > >>>initial few steps.The make files were generated and the test succeded
    > >>>as well.
    > >>>
    > >>>but when i tried "make install" i get the following error
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>When you ran ./configure what --prefix did you specify?
    > >>
    > >>Regards,
    > >>
    > >>Matt
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Maybe I'm wrongly thinking You're using the Msys shell, but in it:
    >
    > ALiminality@localhost /
    > $ /$HOME
    > sh: //home/ALiminality: No such file or directory
    > guess this is why it fails...
    >
    > ALiminality@localhost /
    > $ /HOME
    > sh: /HOME: is a directory
    >
    > ALiminality@localhost /
    > $ $HOME
    > sh: /home/ALiminality: is a directory
    >
    > so /$HOME won't work maybe You want $HOME ? , either don't add a
    > prefix(personally I never use that, just configure --enable-shared,make,
    > make install) or use --prefix=/c/ruby, guess /ruby should also work(or
    > wherever you want it to be).
    >
    > regards
    >
    >
     
    Amit Rao, Nov 18, 2004
    #5
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RJGraham
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    10,725
    Ryan Stewart
    Feb 14, 2004
  2. Richard Hanson
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    938
    David Bolen
    Aug 31, 2004
  3. Omita
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    479
    Piet van Oostrum
    Apr 30, 2009
  4. Mits Hadeishi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    170
    Mits Hadeishi
    Apr 16, 2005
  5. Philippe Lucas
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    268
    Philippe Lucas
    Jun 28, 2005
  6. andrew cooke
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    155
    andrew cooke
    Dec 7, 2005
  7. Géraud Contisouzas
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    229
    Victor Grey
    Sep 13, 2006
  8. Terry Carmen

    Newbie install problem

    Terry Carmen, Nov 8, 2008, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    154
    Kris Windham
    Nov 9, 2008
Loading...