Newbie - needs help

Anbeyon

Hi

I have not yet programmed in Python but am experienced in a number o
other languages.

I'd like to start to use Python to develop cross platform applications
but havin kust started to investigate tols, libraries etc I feel a
little overwhelmed.

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

What I'd like to achieve is the abilty to develop applications for
both Windows and Linux (Desktop and embedded). I'd also like to be
able to develop applications that make use of TCP/IP and things like
'Widget' libraries.

In an ideal would like to be able to pull together Python apps with
GUI front ends in a nice IDE with a debugger.

Does such a toolset exisit ?

Perhaps some people can sully me some links ?

Thanks in advance.

Anbeyon

kyosohma

[...]

There's lot of Python tools available for you.

ActiveState has ActivePython (free) - http://www.activestate.com/products/activepython/
Eclipse has a plugin to use for Python - http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/home/

If you use wxPython you can use:
Boa Constructor - http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
Stani's Python Editor - http://pythonide.blogspot.com/
Dabo - http://dabodev.com/

For others, check this:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

Most are free, but some have different licenses. Read up on them.

I still use IDLE for most of my work. Currently I am playing with
XRCed. I did find PythonWin, ActiveState's and Eclipse's to be handy
too though.

Mike

7

7stud

Hi

I have not yet programmed in Python but am experienced in a number o
other languages.

I'd like to start to use Python to develop cross platform applications
but havin kust started to investigate tols, libraries etc I feel a
little overwhelmed.

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

"Learning Python" can be purchased at amazon.com. Or, not as good:
"Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional". If you get the
second one, you'll need "Python in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick
Reference" to fill in all the gaps.

brzrkr0

"Learning Python" can be purchased at amazon.com. Or, not as good:
"Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional". If you get the
second one, you'll need "Python in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick
Reference" to fill in all the gaps.

If you already have experience with other programming languages, I
think you might find that "Learning Python" is a bit too beginner-
oriented. "Dive into Python" is probably a better choice for a first
reading, IMO.

Larry Bates

Anbeyon said:
[...]

If you are on Windows take a look at PyScripter:

http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=4

I would also recommend a copy of Python Cookbook
which has LOTS of example code you can look at and
use.

-Larry Bats