    I looked on CPAN site but cannot find the Net::SMTP module.

    I can find lots of others, like Net::SMTP::Server...

    Any help is appreacitated for this newbie.

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Sean Berry

    Tony Curtis Guest

    >> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:30:34 -0700,
    >> "Sean Berry" <> said:

    > I looked on CPAN site but cannot find the Net::SMTP module.
    > I can find lots of others, like Net::SMTP::Server...

    You mean the first hit from

    http://search.cpan.org/

    hth

    Tony Curtis, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Sean Berry

    Robin Guest

    "Sean Berry" <> wrote in message
    > I looked on CPAN site but cannot find the Net::SMTP module.

    maybe you've got the wrong cpan site?
    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Sean Berry

    Sean Berry Guest

    Thanks. I got to http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/ from another site.
    I couln't find it there.

    After getting it saved, I am greeted with compilation errors about other
    needed modules, such as Net::Cmd.

    After that I needed Config.pm ... IO::Socket... etc.

    Is there a way to get all of the modules?

    Is there a much easier way to send email with an attachment then using
    Net::SMTP?

    Thanks.

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Sean Berry

    Sean Berry Guest

    "Sean Berry" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I got to http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/ from another

    site.
    > I couln't find it there.
    >
    > After getting it saved, I am greeted with compilation errors about other
    > needed modules, such as Net::Cmd.
    >
    > After that I needed Config.pm ... IO::Socket... etc.
    >
    > Is there a way to get all of the modules?
    >
    > Is there a much easier way to send email with an attachment then using
    > Net::SMTP?

    I meant, "..email with an attachment then using MIME::Lite?"

    Sean Berry, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Robin wrote:

    > maybe you've got the wrong cpan site?

    Robin, stop it. Just...stop.

    There are no "wrong" CPAN sites. They're mirrors, they're all identical. It
    takes a bit of time for a new module to propogate its way to all the mirror
    sites, true - but Net::SMTP is far from new. It's on all of them.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Sean Berry wrote:

    >> Is there a way to get all of the modules?

    Have a look at CPAN.pm. It mostly automates the process of finding
    prerequisites, downloading and installing them.

    perldoc CPAN.pm

    The .pm extension is necessary in this case, even though it's usually not -
    without it you'll get a brief description of the 'cpan' command-line tool,
    rather than the more thorough description of the CPAN.pm module and shell.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  8. Sean Berry

    Joe Smith Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > Robin wrote:
    >>maybe you've got the wrong cpan site?

    > Robin, stop it. Just...stop.
    >
    > There are no "wrong" CPAN sites. They're mirrors, they're all identical.

    Actually, Robin is correct this time.
    (But he loses points for not specifying the correct one.)

    http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/ is not the place to go searching.
    http://search.cpan.org/ is the correct place to start a module search.

    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Apr 29, 2004
  9. Sean Berry wrote:

    >> Is there a much easier way to send email with an attachment then
    >> using Net::SMTP?

    > I meant, "..email with an attachment then using MIME::Lite?"

    I like the Mail::Sender module, and it has no module dependencies but
    standard modules. Even if I only uses it for plain text messages, its
    explicit purpose is to handle attachments.

    But whichever you choose, you'd better learn how to install CPAN
    modules. As Sherm said, CPAN.pm handles module dependencies quite nicely.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Joe Smith wrote:

    > Actually, Robin is correct this time.

    No he isn't. You're giving him *far* too much credit.

    Robin's like a child who wants to imitate the "big kids," but doesn't know
    enough to get it right. He tells people to RTFM when he himself is still
    reluctant to take that exact advice. He tries to cop a snide attitude and
    pretend that he's tired of seeing the FAQs asked again, when in fact he's
    often the one asking them.

    > http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/ is not the place to go searching.

    Not so - it's trivially simple to find a module there, provided that you
    know its name, which the OP did. You want Net::SMTP? No problem, just go to
    the Net/ directory, and there it is.

    Even Robin could do it.

    > http://search.cpan.org/ is the correct place to start a module search.

    That's *a* useful place to search, if you don't know the name of the module
    you want, and need to do a full-text search for keywords.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Also sprach Sherm Pendley:

    > Joe Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, Robin is correct this time.

    > No he isn't. You're giving him *far* too much credit.
    >
    > Robin's like a child who wants to imitate the "big kids," but doesn't know
    > enough to get it right. He tells people to RTFM when he himself is still
    > reluctant to take that exact advice. He tries to cop a snide attitude and
    > pretend that he's tired of seeing the FAQs asked again, when in fact he's
    > often the one asking them.

    Fair enough. However, something that is right in principle is not
    invalided when it's said by the "wrong" chap. No rule exists that
    dictates to be accredited before giving the right advice. Period.

    The fact that there might be comical connotation about Robin giving
    advice he isn't following himself too closely should not distract from
    the fact that pointing people to the FAQs and documentation is the
    proper thing to do.

    Other than that, people should move on now and stop regarding Robin (or
    Purl Gurl or in fact anyone) as a special kind of species that needs
    particular treatment. It's not going to make those people leave this
    group. What it does instead is making the noise level increase
    significantly.

    It's merely an observation (and not a threat by all means as I am
    entirely dispensable) when I say that I get more and more inclined
    towards taking a break from usenet for a while. Or from this group. Or
    from any place that has an obnoxious noise-to-signal ratio at times.

    Tassilo

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:

    > However, something that is right in principle is not
    > invalided when it's said by the "wrong" chap.

    Of course it isn't. But I didn't disagree with Robin because of who he his,
    I disagreed because, IMHO, he gave bad advice.

    Robin's comment that the OP might have been looking on the "wrong" cpan site
    made no sense. The mirrors are all identical, and when the name of the
    module is known (as it was in this case), the "by-module" hierarchy is just
    as easy to use as the keyword search.

    His advice was bogus, and I called him on it. I'm not playing favorites; In
    another thread Robin gave accurate (if incomplete) advice, and in that
    thread I told him so, and even gave him kudos for his improvement.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 30, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    :Robin's comment that the OP might have been looking on the "wrong" cpan site
    :made no sense. The mirrors are all identical,

    No they aren't. They -should- be, but in practice they aren't.

    I do not -often- run into problems with mirrors having different
    content, but it has happened to me. Network problems, disks get
    corrupted, files get accidently deleted, propagation delays..
    Discrepencies happen.

    I make no claim that the discrepencies are a major problem,
    but I do assert that the set of discrepencies that have happened
    is non-empty.
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

    Walter Roberson, Apr 30, 2004
  14. Walter Roberson wrote:

    > I do not -often- run into problems with mirrors having different
    > content, but it has happened to me. Network problems, disks get
    > corrupted, files get accidently deleted, propagation delays..
    > Discrepencies happen.

    Yeah, but that kind of thing is just plain old bad luck. It's not the result
    of having chosen the "wrong" mirror.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 30, 2004