Newbie Question about master page in ASP.NET 2.0

Alphonse

Hi,
I'm a newbie in web programming. I got few questions about master page
in ASP.NET 2.0
I've made a master page with a navigation menu, a header, a footer in
it, then I use it in pages. Whenever the menu is cliked, it navigate to
other page (& so on). It works fine, but whenever I navigate to a new
page, the page flicks, which mean It loads the whole control. Can it
only load the new page without reloading the header, the footer, & the
menu? So whenever I navigate to a new page, the header, footer, & the
menu doesn't flick. Sounds like a stupid question, sorry but I'm a
newbie with this.
Any help would appreciated. Thx

David Barkol

Alphonse said:
Hi,
I'm a newbie in web programming. I got few questions about master page
in ASP.NET 2.0
I've made a master page with a navigation menu, a header, a footer in
it, then I use it in pages. Whenever the menu is cliked, it navigate to
other page (& so on). It works fine, but whenever I navigate to a new
page, the page flicks, which mean It loads the whole control. Can it
only load the new page without reloading the header, the footer, & the
menu? So whenever I navigate to a new page, the header, footer, & the
menu doesn't flick. Sounds like a stupid question, sorry but I'm a
newbie with this.
Any help would appreciated. Thx

The master page acts as a template for your pages, nothing more. So the
flick (aka postback) that you get has nothing to do with the master
pages, it is the natural behavior of the controls. If you want to avoid
having the page reload then you might want to:

1) Investigate an ajax solution (Atlas, AJAX.NET, Magic Ajax, etc.)
2) Use forms

Does this help?

David Barkol
www.neudesic.com

Alphonse

Ok, maybe I should start from the base first. How I build two simple
pages, with the same header, footer, menu (using ascx I think).
Whenever I click the menu, it goes to other page without flicking (the
header, footer, menu). Could some one post me the sample code. The
simple one, don't have to use the master page, etc.
You Said using forms. Sorry, but how to use it without have the whole
page flicking. Thanks. Sorry, but I'm really a newbie

Christopher Reed

I think the first place to start is not to worry too much about the flicker.
While you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to stop the
flicker, you also expending a lot of time that could be used on producing
the base code for your project.

A good place to start is with the Quickstart Tutorials which are available
at www.asp.net or you can download the .NET SDK and install them locally on
your computer.

Alphonse

Ok, I'm working on it. Reading about the asp.net step by step.
But right now I need to make my page doesn't flick. & yes I'm worry a
lot in this, cause we need to make templates that doesn't flick while
navigating the page. Thanks everybody for the replies