Newbie question: Tab key giving different output

getkaizer

Hello,
I'm a newbie to python. I run python under Manddrake Linux 10.2 from a
terminal.

While in the interactive mode, i need to use the tab key to indent my
code. However, i get a message "List all 174 possibilities? (Y/N)"
instead of an indent. So i use spaces.

How do i tell python to give me indents?

Thanks in advance!

Have a great day,
Kaizer.

Tim Henderson

i think it is telling you to use spaces

btw i have no idea, it just sounds like a funny thing to happen

Fredrik Lundh

I'm a newbie to python. I run python under Manddrake Linux 10.2 from a
terminal.

While in the interactive mode, i need to use the tab key to indent my
code. However, i get a message "List all 174 possibilities? (Y/N)"
instead of an indent. So i use spaces.

How do i tell python to give me indents?

see section A.3, Key Bindings, in the tutorial:

http://docs.python.org/tut/node15.html

</F>

Tim Roberts

While in the interactive mode, i need to use the tab key to indent my
code. However, i get a message "List all 174 possibilities? (Y/N)"
instead of an indent. So i use spaces.

How do i tell python to give me indents?

You know, the number of spaces you use is not important. You can use one
space for your indentation, which is the same number of keystrokes as a
tab. Good looking code is not of prime importance when you're typing at
the Python prompt.

Kaizer

HI there Tim!
I've been using your suggestion every since I've been having this
issue. I realized exactly what you said...that a space works just as
well....

Thanks!
Kaizer.