Newbie Table validation problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Laura Boone, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Laura Boone

    Laura Boone Guest

    I've been working very hard to follow examples re how to mark up a
    table properly. I've come up with this page:
    http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm

    I have tried to implement the table style suggested here:
    http://www.canadacomputes.com/story.asp?id=10128&sb=337

    To me, everything looks just as I want it under both IE 5.0 and
    Netscape 7.0. As well, Bobby flags no Priority 1 or 2 errors.

    I would be a happy camper but that W3C validator is flagging a lot of
    my code...and I don't like that at all !! It is flagging the
    "attributes" I have coded on my TD's with "there is no attribute
    xx"... My greatest concern is how this will translate to
    screenreaders or other assistive technologies & I don't want to just
    leave it as is.

    I'm not sure where I've gone wrong, but would certainly appreciate if
    someone could help me to get back on the right track.

    Aside from the things that have been flagged, I have concerns about:

    - the way I've coded the "blank lines"....I've given each occurrence a
    separate id and I think that is wrong/unnecessary...I coded them as
    such, because I was concerned about duplicate id's. Is there a better
    approach?

    - the use of a stack of   in conjunction with left align - I
    think I'm missing something elementary here. I guess this isn't
    "wrong" per se, but cheesy nonetheless...agreed ?

    I would appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks !

    Laura

    Laura Boone, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Laura Boone

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Laura Boone wrote:
    > http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm
    >
    > I would be a happy camper but that W3C validator is flagging a lot of
    > my code...and I don't like that at all !! It is flagging the
    > "attributes" I have coded on my TD's with "there is no attribute
    > xx"...

    That's because none of those attributes exist in HTML 4.01 - what are they
    supposed to do?

    > My greatest concern is how this will translate to
    > screenreaders or other assistive technologies & I don't want to just
    > leave it as is.

    Most browsers will ignore attributes that they don't understand (which is
    what they are supposed to do), so they shouldn't cause any problems, but you
    should remove them anyway, as they aren't doing anything, and are incorrect.

    Here is what it looks like in Lynx:
    http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm

    > Aside from the things that have been flagged, I have concerns about:
    >
    > - the use of a stack of   in conjunction with left align - I
    > think I'm missing something elementary here. I guess this isn't
    > "wrong" per se, but cheesy nonetheless...agreed ?

    Agreed. Perhaps something like class="foo" on those <td>s and add
    td.foo{padding-left: 2em;} (play with the value) to your stylesheet?

    > I would appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks !

    You have no <body> tag, and an extra </head> tag at the end of the document.
    The validator shows a couple of other errors like that, but get rid of all
    those non-existent attributes first, then you can sort out the last couple
    of errors.

    The semicolon in your div.right style should be inside the brackets, not
    outside.

    In a couple of places you have XHTML-style markup, e.g. <br /> - if you are
    using HTML, it should be <br>.

    Your headings should be marked as such, e.g. <h1>STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS
    YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2002</h1>.

    HTH

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Laura Boone

    Laura Boone Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:28:27 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
    <> wrote:

    >Laura Boone wrote:
    >> http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm
    >>
    >> I would be a happy camper but that W3C validator is flagging a lot of
    >> my code...and I don't like that at all !! It is flagging the
    >> "attributes" I have coded on my TD's with "there is no attribute
    >> xx"...

    >That's because none of those attributes exist in HTML 4.01 - what are they
    >supposed to do?

    Silly me....I failed to recognize "headers=" in the sample as an
    attribute. I interpreted it as a variable that I had to modify to
    match my data. If I simply replace all of those invalid attributes
    with headers= , I'll be back on the right track.

    >> My greatest concern is how this will translate to
    >> screenreaders or other assistive technologies & I don't want to just
    >> leave it as is.
    >>

    >Most browsers will ignore attributes that they don't understand (which is
    >what they are supposed to do), so they shouldn't cause any problems, but you
    >should remove them anyway, as they aren't doing anything, and are incorrect.
    >
    >Here is what it looks like in Lynx:
    >http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm
    >
    >> Aside from the things that have been flagged, I have concerns about:
    >>
    >> - the use of a stack of &nbsp; in conjunction with left align - I
    >> think I'm missing something elementary here. I guess this isn't
    >> "wrong" per se, but cheesy nonetheless...agreed ?
    >>

    >Agreed. Perhaps something like class="foo" on those <td>s and add
    >td.foo{padding-left: 2em;} (play with the value) to your stylesheet?'

    Right you are....thanks !

    >> I would appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks !

    >You have no <body> tag, and an extra </head> tag at the end of the document.
    >The validator shows a couple of other errors like that, but get rid of all
    >those non-existent attributes first, then you can sort out the last couple
    >of errors.
    >
    >The semicolon in your div.right style should be inside the brackets, not
    >outside.
    >

    >In a couple of places you have XHTML-style markup, e.g. <br /> - if you are
    >using HTML, it should be <br>.

    In extracting the tables from a much larger page, I guess I messed up
    a few things. Thanks for highlighting these.

    >Your headings should be marked as such, e.g. <h1>STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS
    >YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2002</h1>.

    Within the larger page, this is the case.

    >HTH

    I'm working on these changes. I'm sure it will work much better now.
    Thanks again !

    Laura

    Laura Boone, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Laura Boone

    <> wrote:

    >Laura Boone wrote:
    >> http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm
    >>
    >> I would be a happy camper but that W3C validator is flagging a lot of
    >> my code...and I don't like that at all !! It is flagging the
    >> "attributes" I have coded on my TD's with "there is no attribute
    >> xx"...

    >That's because none of those attributes exist in HTML 4.01 - what are they
    >supposed to do?

    Okay, I've gone back and made some revisions.
    Here's what I had:
    http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm

    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Human
    Resources Development Canada</td>

    And here's the revised version:
    http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report2.htm

    Development Canada">Human Resources Development Canada</td>

    .....right ???....though it does seem a tad redundant, no? (maybe just
    because I am fully sighted? and/or lacking a full understanding ...??)

    >> My greatest concern is how this will translate to
    >> screenreaders or other assistive technologies & I don't want to just
    >> leave it as is.
    >>

    >Most browsers will ignore attributes that they don't understand (which is
    >what they are supposed to do), so they shouldn't cause any problems, but you
    >should remove them anyway, as they aren't doing anything, and are incorrect.
    >
    >Here is what it looks like in Lynx:
    >http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm

    Well, now the code passes the validator and Bobby likes it too.
    Lynx viewer ....well, it looks like the data without the formatting.
    I don't know what I can do so that it would make sense to a text only
    viewer. I guess I just am not familiar with how this can be
    accommodated.

    As well, I've reviewed the page with IBM Home Page Reader. Again, I
    think I'm missing something. It seems to me that there should be more
    "wordiness" about each field as it is being read, beyond just reading
    the column headings up front. Do you know what I mean? If I simply
    close my eyes and listen, I'm just hearing a bunch of names and
    amounts and I've already forgotten what the column headings are. Is
    there more that I should be doing in this regard?

    >> Aside from the things that have been flagged, I have concerns about:
    >>
    >> - the use of a stack of &nbsp; in conjunction with left align - I
    >> think I'm missing something elementary here. I guess this isn't
    >> "wrong" per se, but cheesy nonetheless...agreed ?
    >>

    >Agreed. Perhaps something like class="foo" on those <td>s and add
    >td.foo{padding-left: 2em;} (play with the value) to your stylesheet?

    Exactly....I've added the style instream & will move it up to the
    stylesheet when I move these reports into the full page. Thanks !

    >> I would appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks !

    >You have no <body> tag, and an extra </head> tag at the end of the document.
    >The validator shows a couple of other errors like that, but get rid of all
    >those non-existent attributes first, then you can sort out the last couple
    >of errors.
    >
    >The semicolon in your div.right style should be inside the brackets, not
    >outside.
    >

    >In a couple of places you have XHTML-style markup, e.g. <br /> - if you are
    >using HTML, it should be <br>.
    >
    >Your headings should be marked as such, e.g. <h1>STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS
    >YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2002</h1>.
    >
    >HTH

    Could you please take another look and advise anew? Thanks so very
    much !

    Laura

    Laura Boone, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Laura Boone

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Laura Boone wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:28:27 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > And here's the revised version:
    > http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report2.htm

    > Development Canada">Human Resources Development Canada</td>
    >
    > ....right ???....though it does seem a tad redundant, no? (maybe just
    > because I am fully sighted? and/or lacking a full understanding ...??)

    Not really redundant, no. It seems more that way because you are looking at
    the code. When you look at the page itself it looks the way you intended,
    and the markup is valid.

    >> Here is what it looks like in Lynx:

    http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http://www.lamardesigns.com/sandbox/Annl_Report.htm

    > Well, now the code passes the validator and Bobby likes it too.
    > Lynx viewer ....well, it looks like the data without the formatting.
    > I don't know what I can do so that it would make sense to a text only
    > viewer. I guess I just am not familiar with how this can be
    > accommodated.

    Tables generally don't translate well to text or speech browsers. There are
    a few things you can do to help it, but someone else would be better suited
    to advise you on that - not really my forte.

    > Could you please take another look and advise anew? Thanks so very
    > much !

    Looking much better!

    Mark Parnell, Jul 23, 2003