Newbie: Tables

Guest

Hi,
I'm quite new to ASP though am quite ok with HTML. (Or so I thought!)
I tried using the table template in VS2005 for Header, side bar. This table
was created. But as soon as I added a label into the header, I lost the side
bar. It went all the way to the right.

I tried to resize it by dragging it. This was fruitless. I tried changing
it in code. This was also useless. When somehow I did set the left sidebar to
the correct width (somehow), the text inside it was all scrunched up, though
there was no padding in the cell & there appeared to be sufficient width
allowed for the text.

It seems like changing the height or width of a cell either by dragging, in
code or using the properties, does nothing when viewed

What is going on? Can tables actually be manipulated graphically in ASP or
is it better to write them manually? It seems to be out of control using the
template?

Very frustrated. Is this to be expected? The book I've read on ASP deals
with code behind, ADO, Webforms etc quite nicely, but simple HTML it doesn't
cover & seems 'not so simple'.

Does anybody out there know what I'm going through & can help in any way?

Many thanks if so

Ant :)

I noticed there was a style called "Width" automatically added to the td tag.