[newbie] troubles with tuples

Jean Dupont

I'm looking at the way to address tuples
e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );

As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
now here comes what surprises me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)

what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

thanks in advance and kind regards,

jean

Asaf Las

I'm looking at the way to address tuples

e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );
As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
now here comes what surprises me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)
what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and thesecond element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

thanks in advance and kind regards,

jean

Hi

from http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/stdtypes.html?highlight=tuple#tuple

" The slice of s from i to j is defined as the sequence of items with indexk such that i <= k < j. If i or j is greater than len(s), use len(s). Ifi is omitted or None, use 0. If j is omitted or None, use len(s). If i is greater than or equal to j, the slice is empty."

so in above k < j but not equal so in your example slice will be of only one member.

/Asaf

Larry Martell

I'm looking at the way to address tuples
e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );

As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
now here comes what surprises me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)

what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

thanks in advance and kind regards,

Some examples:

a[start:end] # items start through end-1
a[start:] # items start through the rest of the array
a[:end] # items from the beginning through end-1
a[:] # a copy of the whole array
a[-1] # last item in the array
a[-2:] # last two items in the array
a[:-2] # everything except the last two items

HTH,
-larry

Rustom Mody

I'm looking at the way to address tuples
e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );
As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
now here comes what surprises me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)

Python 2.7.6 (default, Jan 11 2014, 17:06:02)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
tup2=(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
tup2[0:1] (1,)

So assuming you meant (1,) and wrote (2,) :)
what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

Generally ranges in python are lower-inclusive upper-exclusive
What some math texts write as [lo, hi)

So if you want from index 1 to 2-inclusive it is 1 to 3 exclusive
tup2[0:2]

See for motivations
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html

And one more surprising thing to note is that negatives count from the end

Jean Dupont

Op maandag 3 februari 2014 18:06:46 UTC+1 schreef Rustom Mody:
[...]

Thank you (and the others) for making this "logical"

kind regards,
jean

Terry Reedy

I'm looking at the way to address tuples
e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );

As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so
tup2[0] gives me 1, the first element in the tuple as expected
tup2[1] gives me 2, the second element in the tuple as expected
now here comes what surprises me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)

what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

thanks in advance and kind regards,

This should be covered in the tutorial, which you should read if you
have not already.

Denis McMahon

I'm looking at the way to address tuples e.g.
tup2 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 );

As I found out indices start with 0 in Python, so tup2[0] gives me 1,
the first element in the tuple as expected tup2[1] gives me 2, the
second element in the tuple as expected now here comes what surprises
me:
tup2[0:1] does not give me the expected (1,2) but (2,)

what is the reason for this and how then should one get the first and
the second element of a tuple? Or the 3rd until the 5th?

thanks in advance and kind regards,

jean
tup = (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
tup[0:1] (0,)
tup[1:2] (1,)
tup[2:3] (2,)
tup[0:2] (0, 1)
tup[2:5]
(2, 3, 4)

This is as I'd expect, as the notation [0:1] means:

starting from the 0th element, up to and including the element preceding
the first element

Or [m:n] means starting from the mth element, everything up to and
including the element preceding the nth element

Are you sure you got (2,) for [0:1] and not for [2:3]? Are you sure your
initial tuple is what you thought it was?