Newbie with server side includes, please help

Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
My webhost finally dropped the Frontpage extensions this past year which I only found out about recently. I've done some reading on server side includes, but am not sure that I fully understand despite the fact that it appears relatively simple.

All my pages end with .htm or .html. I've configured my server to parse these pages for server side includes using my Cpanel.

My site includes several different directories each with their own styles and copyright pages, etc. so I want to clarify that what I need to do is correct. Using as an example, I want to include copyright.html in the directory Victorian on the page intro. I understand that the actual file to be included should not have the html, body or head tags on the page. (I don't know if I can put in the exact coding here without it disappearing so I will put in a space before the exclamation point and one after the two hyphens at the end, however, I know that the only spaces in the code line should be between "include file" and after the end quote after the file name.)

< !--#include file="Victorian/copyright.html" -- >

I also have pages within a multiple directory, such as Victorian/overview/life_in_vic_England.htm
Can I use the same coding above on those pages?

I really need to get my site running again so any help you can provide me will be appreciated.

I can't test the page right now because I can't publish to my site without my host's help, but I want to convert the pages as I have a major site on Victorian history that's over 300 pages and I can't risk it not working after I do try publishing using ftp rather than the now defunct Frontpage function.