    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

    Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
    kind of program?

    Desser, Aug 29, 2008

  2. Desser

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 29 Aug 2008, "Desser" <> wrote:

    > I had seen this line in the <head> of a age. What does it mean?
    >
    > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    >
    > Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
    > kind of program?

    Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
    successor.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Aug 29, 2008

  3. Desser

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
    > successor.)

    More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
    quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
    as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

    Dylan Parry, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too
    >> (-or its successor.)

    > More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    > /bad/ HTML using Expression Web,

    I don't think there's anything bad with a tag like
    as such. It's simply metadata and generally more useful than much of the
    metadata that programs and authors puke on HTML documents.

    _Different_ Microsoft programs generate such tags. For example, take an
    ordinary Windows Internet Explorer, open an ordinary web page, and use the
    command File/Save as, selecting the .mht format. Then open the saved file in
    a decent text editor and look at the markup.

    The .mht format means saving the page in the Internet message format, as a
    multipart/related message, with one of the parts containing the HTML
    documentm with the <META ...> tag thrown in. _That_ is questionable since it
    gives false information about the generation of that document, really. (IE
    also transmogrifies the document in other ways, at least by UPPERCASING tag
    names, for no good reason.) The idea of the format is good, the
    implementation is poor.

    > and I know it would almost certainly
    > quote the attributes at the very least.

    There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
    "GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).

    Yucca

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Desser

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
    > "GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).

    The only reason I can see, in a case such as this where it is entirely
    *optional*, is purely that of consistency. Of course, if the document
    was XHTML, then it wouldn't be optional, but judging on the lack of a
    self-closing slash in the OP's snippet, I don't think that's the the
    case here.

    Dylan Parry, Aug 29, 2008
  6. Desser

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    > /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
    > quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
    > as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

    I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
    extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
    scratch.

    Irina

    (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Sep 2, 2008
  7. On 2008-09-02, Irina Rempt wrote:
    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    >> In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    >> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
    >> quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
    >> as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

    > I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
    > extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
    > scratch.

    FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
    products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
    successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.

    > (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

    Walk right in, sit right down
    Baby, let your hair hang down

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008
  8. Desser

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Irina Rempt wrote:

    > (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

    A general tip is to have a read through the group to familiarise
    yourself with the way things work here, but feel free to jump in at any
    time. No need for an introduction, but I'm sure if you hang around long
    enough we'll get to know you ;)

    Dylan Parry, Sep 2, 2008
  9. Desser

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48bcf01e$0$182$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    > > In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    > > /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
    > > quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
    > > as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

    > I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
    > extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
    > scratch.
    >
    > Irina
    >
    > (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)
    >
    > --
    > "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    > should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
    > http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 31-Aug-2008

    One sometimes does just jump in and that is fine. And in my opinion this
    is quite as good a thing to do as any other thing because of the
    exceedingly hard problem of making an agreeable introduction such as
    yours that would be as or more agreeable than a jumping in such as
    yours. Now I am not sure whether you have jumped in agreeably or
    introduced yourself agreeably but I am quite sure that you have done one
    or other of these things and since they are as agreeable as each other,
    well... what more can be said except perhaps welcome.

    (Please excuse me, just typing practice. I have been preparing pictures
    all day and need to keep my hand in for an emergency here...))

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2008
  10. Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-09-02, Irina Rempt wrote:
    >> Dylan Parry wrote:
    >>
    >>> In my experience, it's very hard to generate
    >>> /bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
    >>> quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
    >>> as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

    >> I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
    >> extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
    >> scratch.

    > FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
    > products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
    > successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.
    >
    >> (by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

    > Walk right in, sit right down
    > Baby, let your hair hang down

    Everybody's talking about a new way of walking
    Do you want to lose your mind?

    (From memory. Now I send this and to see how well I did. <g> )

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 2, 2008