Newbiee:

Desser

I had seen this line in the <head> of a age. What does it mean?

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
kind of program?

Neredbojias

I had seen this line in the <head> of a age. What does it mean?

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

Is it something automatickly generated by Frontpage or Dreamweaver or that
kind of program?

Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
successor.)

Dylan Parry

Neredbojias said:
Exactly. I'd suspect that the "MSHTML" comes from Frontpage, too (-or its
successor.)

More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
/bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Jukka K. Korpela

Dylan said:
More likely Frontpage. In my experience, it's very hard to generate
/bad/ HTML using Expression Web,

I don't think there's anything bad with a tag like
as such. It's simply metadata and generally more useful than much of the
metadata that programs and authors puke on HTML documents.

_Different_ Microsoft programs generate such tags. For example, take an
ordinary Windows Internet Explorer, open an ordinary web page, and use the
command File/Save as, selecting the .mht format. Then open the saved file in
a decent text editor and look at the markup.

The .mht format means saving the page in the Internet message format, as a
multipart/related message, with one of the parts containing the HTML
documentm with the <META ...> tag thrown in. _That_ is questionable since it
gives false information about the generation of that document, really. (IE
also transmogrifies the document in other ways, at least by UPPERCASING tag
names, for no good reason.) The idea of the format is good, the
implementation is poor.
and I know it would almost certainly
quote the attributes at the very least.

There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
"GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).

Yucca

Dylan Parry

Jukka said:
There's really not much practical reason to quote an attribute value like
"GENERATOR" (and not much reason not to do that, of course).

The only reason I can see, in a case such as this where it is entirely
*optional*, is purely that of consistency. Of course, if the document
was XHTML, then it wouldn't be optional, but judging on the lack of a
self-closing slash in the OP's snippet, I don't think that's the the
case here.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Irina Rempt

Dylan said:
In my experience, it's very hard to generate
/bad/ HTML using Expression Web, and I know it would almost certainly
quote the attributes at the very least. Can't say the same for FP though
as I don't think I've ever actually used it!

I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
scratch.

Irina

(by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

Chris F.A. Johnson

I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
scratch.

FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.
(by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

Walk right in, sit right down
Baby, let your hair hang down

Dylan Parry

Irina said:
(by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

A general tip is to have a read through the group to familiarise
yourself with the way things work here, but feel free to jump in at any
time. No need for an introduction, but I'm sure if you hang around long
enough we'll get to know you ;)

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

dorayme

Irina Rempt said:
I once had to rework a website made with FP and I can attest that it's
extremely easy to generate bad HTML with that. I ended up doing it from
scratch.

Irina

(by the way, does one introduce oneself here, or just jump in as I'm doing?)

One sometimes does just jump in and that is fine. And in my opinion this
is quite as good a thing to do as any other thing because of the
exceedingly hard problem of making an agreeable introduction such as
yours that would be as or more agreeable than a jumping in such as
yours. Now I am not sure whether you have jumped in agreeably or
introduced yourself agreeably but I am quite sure that you have done one
or other of these things and since they are as agreeable as each other,
well... what more can be said except perhaps welcome.

(Please excuse me, just typing practice. I have been preparing pictures
all day and need to keep my hand in for an emergency here...))

Blinky the Shark

Chris said:
FrontPage's low reputation is exceeded only by that of other MS
products that supposedly generate HTML. Expression Web, FP's
successor, we've been told, actually produces real HTML.

Walk right in, sit right down
Baby, let your hair hang down

Everybody's talking about a new way of walking
Do you want to lose your mind?

(From memory. Now I send this and to see how well I did. <g> )