newline at the end of file

Discussion in 'C++' started by av, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. av

    av Guest

    hi all,

    i am trying to transfer a text file from client to server. say, my
    text file on the client side is named like this "afile.txt":
    on the server side, am storing it by different name i.e "bfile.txt"

    "afile.txt"

    1 djfldjf"\n"
    2 dslfjlsdjf"\n"
    3 shfdjhfsj"\n"
    4 djfldjf"\n"
    5 dslfjlsdjf"\n"
    6 shfdjhfsj"\n"

    the above file contains 6 lines 58 characters (i.e 52 characters and 6
    new-lines).

    the client reads the file character by character. puts it into an
    array. when it reads the last character i.e "\n" in the 6th line, it
    goes to the next line i.e 7th line...checks if there are any
    characters and then comes to an conclusion that the end-of-file has
    occured. till now no problem.

    on the server side, it gets till the last before character, i.e "j" in
    the 6th line. then it gets the "new line character". now what is
    happening is, "the server is expecting for more lines". so when i open
    the "bfile.txt", all the above lines are copied and the error that i
    get is "Incomplete Last Line" and some junk value like " ^C ^M".

    i realize the newline is causing me problems. but how to overcome it.
    how to let know the server that its the end of the message.

    this is done in unix with c++.

    kindly let me know.

    thank u.
    av.
    av, Nov 19, 2003

  2. av

    Jack Klein Guest

    On 19 Nov 2003 15:06:32 -0800, (av) wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > hi all,
    >
    > i am trying to transfer a text file from client to server. say, my
    > text file on the client side is named like this "afile.txt":
    > on the server side, am storing it by different name i.e "bfile.txt"
    >
    > "afile.txt"
    >
    > 1 djfldjf"\n"
    > 2 dslfjlsdjf"\n"
    > 3 shfdjhfsj"\n"
    > 4 djfldjf"\n"
    > 5 dslfjlsdjf"\n"
    > 6 shfdjhfsj"\n"
    >
    > the above file contains 6 lines 58 characters (i.e 52 characters and 6
    > new-lines).
    >
    > the client reads the file character by character. puts it into an
    > array. when it reads the last character i.e "\n" in the 6th line, it
    > goes to the next line i.e 7th line...checks if there are any
    > characters and then comes to an conclusion that the end-of-file has
    > occured. till now no problem.
    >
    > on the server side, it gets till the last before character, i.e "j" in
    > the 6th line. then it gets the "new line character". now what is
    > happening is, "the server is expecting for more lines". so when i open
    > the "bfile.txt", all the above lines are copied and the error that i
    > get is "Incomplete Last Line" and some junk value like " ^C ^M".
    >
    > i realize the newline is causing me problems. but how to overcome it.
    > how to let know the server that its the end of the message.
    >
    > this is done in unix with c++.
    >
    > kindly let me know.
    >
    > thank u.
    > av.

    Why do you think this is a C++ language issue? Read the documentation
    for the server software to find out what it expects for an end of file
    indicator.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com