nice effect

rf

mark | r said:
http://www.pixelisland.net/

this makes great use of the IE transitions (its not mine) i originally
thought it was flash!

Not for me, but then again I have tamed IE to not do such frippery.

Anyway, said page uses 1/8 of my canvas, is not resizable, uses fixed
microscopic fonts and is, overall, unusable for me.

Cheers
Richard.

Dylan Parry

Mitja said:
IE is reality, inconvenient as it may be. And what's more, the thing
degrades completely gracefully.

Yup, I agree. IE degrades nicely to Opera or Mozilla :)

Matt Clara

Dylan Parry said:
Yup, I agree. IE degrades nicely to Opera or Mozilla :)

IE is the #1 browser on the web, as designers, that's what we have to design
for. Period.

Dylan Parry

Matt said:
IE is the #1 browser on the web, as designers, that's what we have to
design for. Period.

Rubbish. You don't have to design for anything. A good page will work on
all browsers without having to design with any specific browser in mind. I
don't even have Internet Explorer, yet I've never had any complaints about
my pages not working in it.

Matt Clara

Dylan Parry said:
Rubbish. You don't have to design for anything. A good page will work on
all browsers without having to design with any specific browser in mind. I
don't even have Internet Explorer, yet I've never had any complaints about
my pages not working in it.

Which is to say, you design for lowest common denominator, but then you
don't test your pages on the browser 99.9% of your end users are using.
Sounds like you're being over-confident, don't you think? That's
rhetorical--no need to reply.

PeterMcC

Matt Clara wrote in
IE is the #1 browser on the web, as designers, that's what we have to
design for. Period.

My apologies if the "Period." indicated that you didn't want any further
discussion...

My understanding is that one should design to the standards rather than to
any browser. Specific browsers enter the picture when it comes to testing
and applying browser specific hacks. That way, there's the greatest chance
of cross-browser success, graceful degradation and a degree of
future-proofing.

Neal

IE is the #1 browser on the web, as designers, that's what we have to
design
for. Period.

Cancer is the #1 killer in the world, as doctors, that's what we have to
cure. Period.

Marijuana is the #1 cash crop in the US, as farmers, that's what we have
to grow. Period.

Sharon

Actually, Aids/HIV is the #1 killer of those aged 15 to 59:
http://www.who.int/whr/2004/overview/en/

And the only place that I see purporting marijuana as the #1 worldwide cash
crop are those also pushing for the legalization of the drug. My gut
instincts tell me that this is not true.

And I have to say, maybe you guys should take a minute out and re-read your
own responses to this post (with an open mind). See what #1 word jumps out
at you.

jake

mark | r said:
http://www.pixelisland.net/

this makes great use of the IE transitions (its not mine) i originally
thought it was flash!

mark
Attractive, but not too practical under all conditions.

http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/PIC3X.JPG (33k)

It's rather like one of those 'concept' cars from high-end
manufacturers. It's got all the electronic features you could want,
aerodynamic styling like you've never seen before, and a paint-job you
would give anything for ........ but it won't actually get you down to
the supermarket for the week's shopping ;-)

However, being a pioneer was never easy .....

regards.

David Christopher Weichert

Spartanicus <[email protected]>
(wrote:

Ah well... Why not, after all? IE is reality,

Reality? Brrr! Don't want to be there. Seems reality is the place where
OSs and Browsers are crap. Here's a nickel kid - now get yourself a real
OS.

Barefoot Kid

mark | r said:
http://www.pixelisland.net/

this makes great use of the IE transitions (its not mine) i originally
thought it was flash!

looks great tho i've got a crick in my neck, dunno why u bother also posting
at alt.html tho, they wont appreciate it, no they dont like it up em...

Mitja

David Christopher Weichert said:
Reality? Brrr! Don't want to be there. Seems reality is the place
where OSs and Browsers are crap. Here's a nickel kid - now get
yourself a real OS.

Thanks daddy, but instead of money, a good man gave me Opera once and I use
it all the time. The reality I mentioned is that others use it.

I don't see what's wron with the transition effect. IMO, it looks fine while
not being too intrusive. And, as I said before, it degrades nicely - nothing
wrong with the page in Opera.

Now the menu on that site is a different thing altogether. Looks nice, but
is impossible to read, clumsy, etc. - but all this has nothing to do with IE
or the transition effect.

Matt Clara

PeterMcC said:
Matt Clara wrote in

My apologies if the "Period." indicated that you didn't want any further
discussion...

My understanding is that one should design to the standards rather than to
any browser. Specific browsers enter the picture when it comes to testing
and applying browser specific hacks. That way, there's the greatest chance
of cross-browser success, graceful degradation and a degree of
future-proofing.

Nope, I agree with you here. My point is only that we can't ignore IE, as
some people seem to be suggesting, and wasn't intended to start a fight.