no follow

shapper

Hello,

I have a few Social Bookmarks on my web site (Digg, Google, ...)
For all of the links I added the attribiute rel="nofollow".

I also have a RSS link so the user can subscribe RSS news. It goes to
the RSS XML file:
Rss">Subscribe</a>

Should I add rel="nofollow" to this anchor to?

Thanks,
Miguel

Jukka K. Korpela

shapper said:
I have a few Social Bookmarks on my web site (Digg, Google, ...)
For all of the links I added the attribiute rel="nofollow".
Why?

I also have a RSS link so the user can subscribe RSS news. It goes to
the RSS XML file:
Rss">Subscribe</a>

Should I add rel="nofollow" to this anchor to?

Why?

What do you expect the attribute to do?

There's no published specification. The draft for a sketch of a proposal
says:
"By adding rel="nofollow" to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
destination of that hyperlink SHOULD NOT be afforded any additional weight
or ranking by user agents which perform link analysis upon web pages (e.g.
search engines). Typical use cases include links created by 3rd party
commenters on blogs, or links the author wishes to point to, but avoid
endorsing."
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-nofollow

So it's a command in disguise, a procedural instruction loosely camouflaged
as an "attribute" in "(semantic) markup", and oriented towards the needs of
some companies. You can take it as a fact of life in a world more or less
dominated by Google and few others in the search engine business - but
nobody compels you to use it, and it appears to be quite counterproductive
to use it on your own links.

It's really meant to work as a feeble method of protection against link
spamming in blogs and similar material. Its name should really be
this_link_should_not_be_regarded_as_relevant_when_counting_link_popularity_of_pages

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jukka K. Korpela"
So it's a command in disguise, a procedural instruction loosely
camouflaged as an "attribute" in "(semantic) markup", and oriented
towards the needs of some companies. You can take it as a fact of life
in a world more or less dominated by Google and few others in the
search engine business - but nobody compels you to use it, and it
appears to be quite counterproductive to use it on your own links.

It's really meant to work as a feeble method of protection against
link spamming in blogs and similar material. Its name should really be
this_link_should_not_be_regarded_as_relevant_when_counting_link_popula r
ity_of_pages

Right, what we really need is something that would explicitly say "Do
not follow this link because it essentially goes to the same place, with
the same content", for example, http://example.com/page.asp?style=red vs
http://example.com/page.asp?style=blue

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Guy Macon
Would the rel="canonical" attribute (currently supported by Google,
Yahoo, and Microsoft search engines) do what you want?