no-one likes my map

windandwaves

dorayme

windandwaves said:
I like it, because it is simple and interactive. However, it is not
well-liked. How can I make the map better and more meaningful?
Any comments greatly appreciated.

The pointers are a bit of a downer! They look like orange
balloons that have just about lost their air and about to land
(one of them - I noticed - into water!). Deflated balloons?
Perhaps something neater like a simple arrow to cheer everyone
up? When it a question of making people like things, as distinct
from efficient operation, you might need to think about these
psychological associations.

I must say, this map idea of yours is not very practical for
dial-up users that are in a bit of a hurry! But then, are poor
dial-up users the sort you want to attract anyway? Maybe you have
shrewdly and deliberately chosen.

windandwaves

dorayme said:
The pointers are a bit of a downer! They look like orange
balloons that have just about lost their air and about to land
(one of them - I noticed - into water!). Deflated balloons?
Perhaps something neater like a simple arrow to cheer everyone
up? When it a question of making people like things, as distinct
from efficient operation, you might need to think about these
psychological associations.

Thank you - great feedback - will look at an alternative. Perhaps a simple
+

I must say, this map idea of yours is not very practical for
dial-up users that are in a bit of a hurry! But then, are poor
dial-up users the sort you want to attract anyway? Maybe you have
shrewdly and deliberately chosen.

I am sure that most of our potential users are in med to high speed lines.
I am a medium speed line and it loads fine for me...

windandwaves

Bob said:
In
windandwaves said:
Have a look at
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php [...]
I like it, because it is simple and interactive. However, it is not
well-liked.

How do you know?
How can I make the map better and more meaningful?

My point being, if you have had feedback about what people don't like
about it, won't that give you some ideas about how to improve it?

Not really. People just dont like. I get a "negative" vibe.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, dorayme ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
I must say, this map idea of yours is not very practical for
dial-up users that are in a bit of a hurry! But then, are poor
dial-up users the sort you want to attract anyway? Maybe you have
shrewdly and deliberately chosen.

I am currently back... on dial-up, using an old modem that I found in one of
my many boxes. I am using this because I am currently lodging so obviously
cannot commit to a dsl contract! Still, this dial-up account I have doesn't
cost much less than a dsl option! So you can't read too much into that!

Cheers,
Nige

Chung Leong

The main problem I see is the lag of city names. Not everyone can
pin-point where a city is located on a aerial photo--especially when
they're tourists :)

windandwaves

Chung said:
The main problem I see is the lag of city names. Not everyone can
pin-point where a city is located on a aerial photo--especially when
they're tourists :)

Good point..

Thank you

Steve

Hi Folk

Posted in both PHP and HTML groups.

Have a look at
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?PL=taupo (enter any New Zealand town, well
many of them)
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?s=hukcotoku (several properties)
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?p=cot&r=150 (within a radius)

I like it, because it is simple and interactive. However, it is not
well-liked. How can I make the map better and more meaningful?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

TIA
For a start off, I'd get rid of the balloons - replace them with a dot,
and then use the <a title="Dorkland" ... > attribute to display the
location for and area around it. That way you'd at least be able to see NZ
under the balloons, and get an idea of where you are. A pick list would be
good as well - just because we know where Twizel is...

Steve

jshanman

windandwaves said:
Hi Folk

Posted in both PHP and HTML groups.

Have a look at
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?PL=taupo (enter any New Zealand town, well
many of them)
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?s=hukcotoku (several properties)
http://www.friars.co.nz/map.php?p=cot&r=150 (within a radius)

I like it, because it is simple and interactive. However, it is not
well-liked. How can I make the map better and more meaningful?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

TIA

Make the links on the left side dynamicly update and re-position the
map with-out having to reload the page. That is what I am working on
doing in my map as well.

- JS
http://www.endeavorpub.com