No PyPI search for 3.x compatible packages

Neil Hodgson

There appears to be no way to search PyPI for packages that are
compatible with Python 3.x. There are classifiers for 'Programming
Language' including 'Programming Language :: Python :: 3' but that seems
to be for implementation language since there are so many packages that
specify C. There are a total of 109 packages classified with Python ::
[3, 3.0, 3.1] out of a total of 4829 packages.
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&show=all&c=214&c=533

The search box appears to search for any word entered so a search
like "xml 3.0" or "xml AND 3.0" does not help.

Some packages include version information in the Py Version column of
their download lists or embedded in the download file names. Projects
are often constrained to a particular set of Python versions so need to
choose packages that will work with those versions. It would be helpful
if PyPI made this information more visible and searchable.

Neil

Francesco Bochicchio

[...]

Are you sure? I note that for example pygtk has as language tags both
C and python. So maybe a C extension
for python3 would have both C and python 3 as language tags.

I suspect that the 109 packages you found are the only ones obf the
4829 which works with python3 (but I hope
to be wrong ).

Ciao

Paul Moore

2009/7/30 Francesco Bochicchio said:
[...]

Also, of course, they may not be the only ones that work, but merely
the only ones where the author has checked they work and tagged the
entry. It's quite possible that some packages will work unmodified...

Paul.

Martin v. Löwis

Neil said:
There appears to be no way to search PyPI for packages that are
compatible with Python 3.x. There are classifiers for 'Programming
Language' including 'Programming Language :: Python :: 3' but that seems
to be for implementation language since there are so many packages that
specify C.

Not at all. The Trove classifiers *always* mean what the package author
wants them to mean. In the specific case of Python :: 3, they should
mean what makes most sense. For an application, it might make most sense
to specify the language it is written in. For a Python library, it
surely would make most sense to specify the Python version it supports -
notice, however, that this is *also* the Python version the library is
written in.

Regards,
Martin

Neil Hodgson

Francesco Bochicchio :
Are you sure? I note that for example pygtk has as language tags both
C and python. So maybe a C extension
for python3 would have both C and python 3 as language tags.

I suspect that the 109 packages you found are the only ones obf the
4829 which works with python3 (but I hope
to be wrong ).

There are 523 packages marked with Python :: [2, 2.1, ...] and I hope
more than that work with Python 2.x.

What I would like to encourages is adding Python :: 3 or a more
specific minimum supported version classifier to packages that support
Python 3. I wouldn't want to go to the level of adding a classifier for
each version of Python supported since a package will often stay valid
when a new Python is released.

Neil