    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:

    > So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    > favor of all-image sites?
    >
    > http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm

    Sadly, that's not the first site I've seen like that. I remember one (I
    think it was posted here a couple of years ago) which was just one
    massive image. I don't think there were even any links. *sigh*

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Mar 3, 2005

  3. In article, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    > favor of all-image sites?

    Yes. In addition, books, magazines, newspapers, menus, movie credits,
    contracts and financial statements will _all_ fall into universal
    disuse, within the next five years I'd say. The information they contain
    will either no longer be relevant to anyone, or readily replaced by cute
    clip-art.

    Urgh...

    --
    Joel.

    Joel Shepherd, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Joel Shepherd wrote:

    > In article, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    >> favor of all-image sites?

    > Yes. In addition, books, magazines, newspapers, menus, movie credits,
    > contracts and financial statements will _all_ fall into universal
    > disuse, within the next five years I'd say. The information they contain
    > will either no longer be relevant to anyone, or readily replaced by cute
    > clip-art.

    Now there's an image (no pun intended): a clip-art NDA.

    > Urgh...

    <AOL> me to </AOL>

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Blinky the Shark

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    >favor of all-image sites?

    No, I think this is just an old hangover from M$ Publisher (the worst
    HTML creator ever)

    Andy Dingley, Mar 3, 2005
  6. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:38:53 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    > favor of all-image sites?

    I suppose that once everybody has broadband, and not the slower versions
    of it, along with everyone being cured of their vision problems, and of
    course everyone learning English, or some other language, then I might
    consider it. Until then, nahhh.

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Oli Filth Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >

    >>So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    >>favor of all-image sites?
    >>
    >>http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm

    > Sadly, that's not the first site I've seen like that. I remember one (I
    > think it was posted here a couple of years ago) which was just one
    > massive image. I don't think there were even any links. *sigh*

    Well, more fool the designer, when they find that their site isn't
    getting indexed by search engines!

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Mar 3, 2005
  8. Blinky the Shark

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Mar 3, 2005
  9. Blinky the Shark

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:38:53 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    > favor of all-image sites?
    >
    > http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm
    >
    > [1]Which really means "everybody who's creating websites, actual users
    > be damned".

    My guess: This site was done by either

    (1) a complete novice to the web

    or

    (2) a print designer who didn't understand the web

    or some combination of the two. (Not mutually exclusive)

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Mar 3, 2005
  10. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:16:56 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >>

    >>>So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered archaic, in
    >>>favor of all-image sites?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm

    >> Sadly, that's not the first site I've seen like that. I remember one (I
    >> think it was posted here a couple of years ago) which was just one
    >> massive image. I don't think there were even any links. *sigh*
    >>

    > Well, more fool the designer, when they find that their site isn't
    > getting indexed by search engines!

    Shhh! Don't tell them that... less competition in the search engines for
    the rest of us.

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 3, 2005
  11. Blinky the Shark

    kchayka Guest

    JDS wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:38:53 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm

    > My guess: This site was done by either
    >
    > (1) a complete novice to the web
    >
    > or
    >
    > (2) a print designer who didn't understand the web
    >
    > or some combination of the two. (Not mutually exclusive)

    You can tell it's a slice-and-splice Fireworks/Dreamweaver construction
    from the image names and JavaScript, so it's probably mostly #2.

    I'm not sure a *complete* novice would be skilled enough with the tools
    to do this, but I could be wrong.

    kchayka, Mar 3, 2005
  12. JDS wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:38:53 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> So, once "everybody"[1] has broadband, will text be considered
    >> archaic, in favor of all-image sites?

    >> http://www.neworleansyogacenter.com/directions.htm

    >> [1]Which really means "everybody who's creating websites, actual
    >> users be damned".

    > My guess: This site was done by either

    > (1) a complete novice to the web

    > or

    > (2) a print designer who didn't understand the web

    > or some combination of the two. (Not mutually exclusive)

    It was drawn to my attention by a friend, who introduced it with:

    "Here's a site with no text, only images positioned in tables plus some
    javascript for the menu. Why the site designer made that decision is a
    bit of a mystery, with the only clue being that she recently took a web
    design class at a well-respected university. (I don't know her, just
    know people who do know her and who had to figure out why the new design
    led to the site falling completely off Google's radar.)"

    At least the claim isn't that she "took a well-respected web design
    class". :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 3, 2005