No zlib in Python 2.4.4

shamzz

Hi,

I've compiled (configure/make/make install) Python 2.4.4 from source
on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9 (x64).

I need Python to be compiled with Zlib so that I can compile and use
Zope.

After installing Python, zlib doesn't seem to have been compiled with
it, I've checked the /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/ folder and
there is no zlib.so in there.

Shouldn't zlib be compiled as a Python module automatically in Python
2.4.4. I'm guessing Python is doing some kind of check and not
compiling zlib for some reason?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shams

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Shouldn't zlib be compiled as a Python module automatically in Python
2.4.4. I'm guessing Python is doing some kind of check and not
compiling zlib for some reason?

It only gets compiled if the header files can be found. Is the zlib-dev
or zlib-devel package installed?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernard_Delm=E9e?=

I need Python to be compiled with Zlib so that I can compile and use

I am guessing you need zlib_dev.rpm (or somesuch) installed
for the python build process to find the relevant headers.
Sorry I cannot be more specific not being a SuSE user myself
(anymore)...

Bernard.

shamzz

It only gets compiled if the header files can be found. Is the zlib-dev
or zlib-devel package installed?

Thanks for the fast reply... this seems to be going off topic from
Python so sorry about that.

But yep, I've just installed (through YAST) the zlib-devel and zlib-
devel-32 packages (zlib and zlib-32bit are already installed).

I then did a make clean/configure/make/make install with the Python
source, but it's still not compiling with zlib.

I've downloaded the latest (source) version of zlib 1.2.3, is it
possible to manually compile it from the zlib source into Python?

Thanks for your help,
Shams.

David E. Konerding DSD staff

Thanks for the fast reply... this seems to be going off topic from
Python so sorry about that.

But yep, I've just installed (through YAST) the zlib-devel and zlib-
devel-32 packages (zlib and zlib-32bit are already installed).

I then did a make clean/configure/make/make install with the Python
source, but it's still not compiling with zlib.

carefully inspect the configure output. Where it gets to the zlib output, it
should print a message about whether it found the libraries or not.
Usually, in these situations, I find myself looking closely at the output
in config.log to see exactly what gcc command it tried to run.

If that doesn't help, take a look at the 'make' output. It might be that there
is no check for zlib in configure, but Python goes to build the module and fails
due to missing headers or libraries.

Dave