    is a non-standard header file and was also told that this file is
    used for screen manipulations...
    -ambika

    ambika, Aug 26, 2003

  2. (ambika) writes:

    > Am just a beginner.
    > Can someone please help me know what do non-standard header files
    > mean???

    A non-standard header is a header not described in the C language standard,
    i.e. anything other than

    <assert.h> <inttypes.h> <signal.h> <stdlib.h>
    <complex.h> <iso646.h> <stdarg.h> <string.h>
    <ctype.h> <limits.h> <stdbool.h> <tgmath.h>
    <errno.h> <locale.h> <stddef.h> <time.h>
    <fenv.h> <math.h> <stdint.h> <wchar.h>
    <float.h> <setjmp.h> <stdio.h> <wctype.h>

    A conforming C implementation need not have any other header than the ones
    listed above.

    > I include the header file "conio.h" in my program.I was told that this is
    > a non-standard header file

    Correct. Many C implementations don't have it.

    > and was also told that this file is used for screen manipulations...

    Since it is non-standard, there is no telling what its semantics is without
    system-specific knowledge. Some systems use it to declare screen
    manipulation functions, other systems might use it for other purposes...

    (See <http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/green/gfd34/art/>, click on
    `Software'.)

    Martin

    Martin Dickopp, Aug 26, 2003

  3. ambika

    Malcolm Guest

    "ambika" <> wrote in message
    > Am just a beginner.
    > Can someone please help me know what do non-standard header files
    > mean???
    > I include the header file "conio.h" in my program.I was told that this
    > is a non-standard header file and was also told that this file is
    > used for screen manipulations...

    Generally a non-standard header will be used for something which can't be
    defined in the same way on all systems. For instance, older computers often
    had teletypes rather than screens - printf() works fine but a printat()
    function would be impossible to implement.
    Sometimes people on the ng give the impression that you shouldn't use
    non-standard headers. This is only true if you want the program to be
    portable, or if you want help from comp.lang.c on a part of the program that
    uses those headers.
    If you want blue and green flashing letters dancing all over your screen,
    then by all means use conio.h to achieve this.

    Malcolm, Aug 26, 2003