    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    - Ben

    JWBlue, Mar 30, 2006

  2. JWBlue

    Jim Higson Guest

    JWBlue wrote:

    > I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store the
    > results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about this
    > stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page extensions) on
    > a windows machine.
    >
    > Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default value
    > from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes value of
    > check box and hits submit it logs those results to MyFormData.Txt
    > over-writing the previous contents.
    >
    > What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
    > appreciated.

    You need to use a server-side scripting language (eg PHP, Perl, Ruby). Are
    any installed on the server?

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "JWBlue" <>
    writing in news:eZSWf.37181$-kc.rr.com:

    > I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store
    > the results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about
    > this stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page
    > extensions) on a windows machine.
    >
    > Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default
    > value from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes
    > value of check box and hits submit it logs those results to
    > MyFormData.Txt over-writing the previous contents.
    >
    > What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > - Ben

    As others have said, you need server side script to do that. You have IIS
    running, so look into ASP. You can start learning at
    <URL:http://www.w3schools.com/asp/>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 1, 2006
  4. JWBlue

    Dan Guest

    JWBlue wrote:
    > I want to use a simple form with a checkbox either on or off and store the
    > results to a text file, with minimal overhead. Very ignorant about this
    > stuff so be gentle! I have IIS running (but no front page extensions) on a
    > windows machine.

    First off, i would suggest dumping IIS and downloading Apache (free).

    > Scope: "MyPage.Html" displays form with one checkbox reading default value
    > from text file (MyFormData.Txt) in same folder. If user changes value of
    > check box and hits submit it logs those results to MyFormData.Txt
    > over-writing the previous contents.

    I take it that you mean a text box rather than a text box.

    > What is the simplest way to accomplish? Sample code would be much
    > appreciated.

    This can't be achieved on the client-side, you'll need to use a
    server-side language such as Perl or PHP. Perl would be my choice as
    working with text files is very simple. If you choose to go down the
    perl route, email me a moc.cam@amsev (the address is 'tnorf ot kcab')
    and i'll knock you up a few lines of code to do what you want.

    Ta,

    Dan

    Dan, Apr 2, 2006