Novice Servlet Engine Question

Kevin

How do I find out what version of servlet engine I'm running?

I'm not sure if this paragraph is extraneous but...I'm trying to run
servlets (using "cactus" from jakarta) on tomcat. I've followed the
instructions on the Jakarta website and everything is working.
However, there's a part that talks about it requiring a servlet engine
that is 2.x compliant (where x >=2.2). I haven't been able to find
this out from searching google. If at all possible, can you also
email me the answer at (e-mail address removed). Thanks in advance.

Herman Timmermans

Kevin said:
How do I find out what version of servlet engine I'm running?

I'm not sure if this paragraph is extraneous but...I'm trying to run
servlets (using "cactus" from jakarta) on tomcat. I've followed the
instructions on the Jakarta website and everything is working.
However, there's a part that talks about it requiring a servlet engine
that is 2.x compliant (where x >=2.2). I haven't been able to find
this out from searching google. If at all possible, can you also
email me the answer at (e-mail address removed). Thanks in advance.

Kevin,
the 2.X stands for the version of the Servlet API. Tomcat being a
Servlet/JSP container has also different versions, and each version
conforms to a different version of the Servlet API.

Servlet/JSP Spec Tomcat version
2.4/2.0 5.0.18
2.3/1.2 4.1.29
2.2/1.1 3.3.1a

This means if your servlet code uses 2.3 functionality, you'll need to run
it in a servlet container that is supporting 2.3 or higher, like Tomcat
4.1.29 or Tomcat 5.x.

See also : http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/reference/api/index.html

Hope this answers the question?
Brgds, Herman