Numpy, adding a row to a matrix

sapsi

Hello,
I have a numpy array (2 rows 3 colums)

import numpy
a=numpy.array( [ [1,2,3] , [3,3,1] ])

I wish to add a row, this is how i do it

s=a.shape
numpy.resize(a,s[0]+1,s[1])
a[s[0]]=new row vector.

Q: Is this a costly operation? What happens if i have to it several
(and unknown) number of times?
is there a simpler way to add a row?

Thank you in advance
Saptarshi

Robert Kern

sapsi said:
Hello,
I have a numpy array (2 rows 3 colums)

import numpy
a=numpy.array( [ [1,2,3] , [3,3,1] ])

I wish to add a row, this is how i do it

s=a.shape
numpy.resize(a,s[0]+1,s[1])
a[s[0]]=new row vector.

Q: Is this a costly operation?

It can be if you have large arrays.
What happens if i have to it several
(and unknown) number of times?
is there a simpler way to add a row?

numpy.vstack([a, newrow])

Generally speaking, you shouldn't resize numpy arrays. If you need to construct
an array by appending, build up a list instead and use vstack() (or hstack() or
dstack() or column_stack() or concatenate() depending on the geometry).

We also have a numpy mailing list, which you should direct future numpy
questions to:

http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

sapsi

Hello,
Thank you. Yes, I will post to the numpy mailing list in future.
Regards
Saptarshi