Object Database (ODBMS) for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Patrick K. O'Brien, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. I'm working on an ODBMS written in Python, for Python, and was
    wondering if anyone was interested. In particular, I'd like to know
    what features would be useful, and what types of use cases people
    would have for a simple, but feature-rich object database.

    The system that I'm developing is PyPerSyst, which began as a simple
    persistence mechanism, but is now becoming a complete ODBMS. Some
    details are available here:

    http://www.orbtech.com/wiki/PyPerSyst

    The code is available in CVS on SF:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pypersyst/

    As you'll see when you look at it, my goal is to provide many of the
    features you would find in relational databases (declarative alternate
    keys, referential integrity, etc.) without any of the impedence
    mismatch associated with mapping between objects and relational
    tables. And since this is Python, I've got several features I've
    never seen in any database of any kind (like built-in, automatic,
    self-maintained, bi-directional associations for all references).

    So, what else would you like to have in a pure-Python ODBMS?

    --
    Patrick K. O'Brien
    Orbtech http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien

    Patrick K. O'Brien, Aug 28, 2003