Object doesn't support this property or method: ZoneRS.MoveFirst'

shank

Can anyone give me some general ideas on why an error like

Object doesn't support this property or method: 'ZoneRS.MoveFirst'

comes up on a page?
MoveFirst is a command to move to the first record... correct?
thanks

Dan Brussee

Can anyone give me some general ideas on why an error like

Object doesn't support this property or method: 'ZoneRS.MoveFirst'

comes up on a page?
MoveFirst is a command to move to the first record... correct?
thanks

For a recordset object, it is. Post the connection code and the code
you use to set the ZoneRS recordset. If the recordset is not
instantiated (failed SQL statement???) the Recordset object is not
there, so what you have is a variant - and variants do not have
MoveFirst methods.

Chris Barber

It may be a forward-only 'firehose' cursor (default if no other cursor and
cursor location specified) in which case that error is correct - moving
backward through the recordset wouldn't be supported.

Chris.

Can anyone give me some general ideas on why an error like

Object doesn't support this property or method: 'ZoneRS.MoveFirst'

comes up on a page?
MoveFirst is a command to move to the first record... correct?
thanks

For a recordset object, it is. Post the connection code and the code
you use to set the ZoneRS recordset. If the recordset is not
instantiated (failed SQL statement???) the Recordset object is not
there, so what you have is a variant - and variants do not have
MoveFirst methods.

Dan Brussee

I hontestly have not tested the thought, but I figured if the user had
an real recordset, it would "have" the MoveFirst method even if it
generated an error when it was used. In other words, the MoveFirst
method is defined, but not allowed for Forwared Only recordsets. Does
this make sense?

shank

Thanks to all..!
I took your suggestions and picked the page apart..
Ended up scrapping it and rebuilding. It now works.
I hate not know what I did wrong...
sigh...

Chris Barber

There is a cursor type and a cursor location that can be specified when you
open the recordset. A 'firehose' (forward-only, server-side cursor) is the
fastest type of recordset to request and traverse and is thus the default.

http://www.adopenstatic.com/faq/jetcursortypes.asp

I don't know how the MoveFirst restriction is implemented - I would presume
an error is raised.

Hope this helps.

Chris.