    comes up on a page?
    MoveFirst is a command to move to the first record... correct?
    thanks
    shank, Oct 31, 2003

  2. shank

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:25:59 -0500, "shank" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone give me some general ideas on why an error like
    >
    >Object doesn't support this property or method: 'ZoneRS.MoveFirst'
    >
    >comes up on a page?
    >MoveFirst is a command to move to the first record... correct?
    >thanks

    For a recordset object, it is. Post the connection code and the code
    you use to set the ZoneRS recordset. If the recordset is not
    instantiated (failed SQL statement???) the Recordset object is not
    there, so what you have is a variant - and variants do not have
    MoveFirst methods.
    Dan Brussee, Oct 31, 2003

  3. shank

    Chris Barber Guest

    It may be a forward-only 'firehose' cursor (default if no other cursor and
    cursor location specified) in which case that error is correct - moving
    backward through the recordset wouldn't be supported.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Oct 31, 2003
  4. shank

    Dan Brussee Guest

    I hontestly have not tested the thought, but I figured if the user had
    an real recordset, it would "have" the MoveFirst method even if it
    generated an error when it was used. In other words, the MoveFirst
    method is defined, but not allowed for Forwared Only recordsets. Does
    this make sense?

    Dan Brussee, Oct 31, 2003
  5. shank

    shank Guest

    Thanks to all..!
    I took your suggestions and picked the page apart..
    Ended up scrapping it and rebuilding. It now works.
    I hate not know what I did wrong...
    sigh...
    shank, Oct 31, 2003
  6. shank

    Chris Barber Guest

    There is a cursor type and a cursor location that can be specified when you
    open the recordset. A 'firehose' (forward-only, server-side cursor) is the
    fastest type of recordset to request and traverse and is thus the default.

    http://www.adopenstatic.com/faq/jetcursortypes.asp

    I don't know how the MoveFirst restriction is implemented - I would presume
    an error is raised.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris Barber, Oct 31, 2003