object oriented design question in context of Java program

Discussion in 'Java' started by J W, Jun 21, 2012.

  1. J W

    J W Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm writing to request pointers on design questions that I've
    encountered while implementing a small scheduling program in Java. The
    questions seem to be more closely related to basic object-oriented
    design than they are to Java specifically, so please let me know if
    there are more suitable forums for these questions.

    Background: the program I've been implementing is a simplistic
    scheduler for a set of work items that must each proceed through a
    lifecycle that contains a fixed set of six stages. The scheduler input
    is a sequence of work items, where the sequence specifies the order in
    which the items should enter the first work stage. The input for each
    work item includes details that apply to the item for each of the six
    stages, including how much effort needs to be expended on the item to
    complete processing for a stage. For example, the input may specify
    that a work item requires one day of work in stage 1, three days in
    stage 2, ... (for now, the effort is specified in terms of days
    instead of hours). Based on the input provided, the scheduler will
    assign dates for each of the stages to each of the items and will
    return the resulting schedule.

    The scheduler must abide by particular rules that constrain how work
    items are permitted to proceed through the stages. In the initial
    implementation, the only rules I've implemented specify how many items
    can be in a particular work stage simultaneously. For example, the
    rules might specify that it is permissible to have a maximum of one
    work item in stage 1 at any point in time, while stage 2 supports four
    items concurrently, and stage 3 supports an unlimited number of
    concurrent items. (Note that the scheduler is intended to be flexible
    enough to support more complex types of rules than these.)

    While I've provided the description above to motivate my questions, my
    questions aren't related to the complexities of scheduling. Rather,
    what I've found is that my initial implementation contains a number of
    distinct class hierarchies that consist of an abstract base class and
    a set of six subclasses - one for each of the six work stages. The
    most clear example of such a hiearchy is one to capture the stage-
    specific scheduling rules. However, there are other similar but
    separate hierarchies as well.

    My question is whether the repetition of the work stage-based
    inheritance hierarchies constitutes a poor design or "a design smell",
    and whether there are alternatives or design patterns that can be
    applied to improve it.

    I spent some time trying to determine whether using an Enum for the
    work stage type would improve the design, with little success. Having
    said that, as I don't have extensive experience using Enums, it's very
    possible I missed something here.

    I've also spent a bit of time attempting to reformulate and/or
    generalize the question to understand it better, again with limited
    success. In particular, I've been unable to identify terminology that
    describes the role of the work stage in spawning the repeated class
    hierarchies, and I've struggled to formulate effective searches to
    identify whether others have encountered questions similar to mine.

    I'm not sure that I've described the context or the questions very
    well, so please let me know if I can clarify anything. Also, please
    note that I would consider it as beneficial to clarify my questions or
    understand them more fully as I would to have "an answer" that
    improves the design. As such, any information or pointers would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Josh
    J W, Jun 21, 2012

  2. J W

    Stefan Ram Guest

    J W <> writes:
    >distinct class hierarchies that consist of an abstract base class and
    >a set of six subclasses - one for each of the six work stages. The

    I have skipped reading parts of your article, trying to find
    the actual question. So now here I can add something: It
    seems you possibly use the template-method pattern: Today,
    often the strategy pattern is preferred in Java.

    >inheritance hierarchies constitutes a poor design or "a design smell",
    >and whether there are alternatives or design patterns that can be
    >applied to improve it.

    Try to be sure that your program is free from errors and
    maintainable (readable). It can still contain a number of
    what some people might call a »smell«, you don't have to
    please everyone. You don't want to do

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating_(software_engineering)
    Stefan Ram, Jun 21, 2012

  3. J W

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > markspace wrote:
    >
    > > We'd have to see the whole code base, or a large part of it, to
    > > determine any further code smell.

    > Forgot to add: Martin Fowler's Refactoring: Improving the Design of
    > Existing Code is a good introduction to refactoring and code smell. If
    > you can find your design in his code smell descriptions, then you might
    > consider changing the design.

    In /Effective Java/, Josh Bloch recommends to prefer composition to inheritance.

    OP: You might be in a bad direction with inheritance ("is-a" relationship)
    rather than composition ("has-a" relationship). You need to share details.

    http://sscce.org/

    Hand-waving and vague architectural generalities are all well and good,
    but it sounds like your problems are in the details.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 21, 2012