Odd Error in FileUtils with move and ENOENT

Charles Comstock

Note quite sure what the cause of this is but if I use the File.move
code below I get no errors, but if I use the commented out FileUtils
line then I get a whole serious of errors like this:

Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
/home/cec/s/c/cc1/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:860 - No such file or
directory - /.autofs/home/grader/cse425gr/hw2/q9.scm

where hw2/q9.scm is where I am trying to move the directory entry d to,
so obviously it doesn't exist. I tried wrapping it in a begin/rescue as
well but it doesn't seem to allow that as they appear to be jumping
straight out of fileutils. Any idea on how to avoid this error output?

# pull directory up
dir = Dir["*"].shift
if !dir.nil? && FileTest.directory?(dir)
pwd = FileUtils.pwd
FileUtils.cd(dir) do
Dir["*"].each {|d| File.move d, ".."}
end
#FileUtils.move Dir[dir+"/*"], Dir.pwd
FileUtils.rm_rf dir
end

All I am trying to do is pull everything in a subdirectory up to the
directory above it, so any other suggestions that would fix that problem
would be appreciated.

In both cases the file does copy as it is supposed to, it just pukes all
of my screen doing it using fileutils.
Charles Comstock