Odd Net::FTP behavior

rubyhacker

Here's my (simple) code. This has worked fine in the past;
now even this simple example fails for me.

It gets as far as creating an empty file, then it hangs and
times out.

This is Ruby 1.8.4 on FC4, talking to another Linux box
(RH Enterprise I think).

Any ideas?

Hal

domain, user, password = "mydomain.com", "myuser", "mypass"
args = [domain]
args << user << password if user != nil
puts "Connecting..."
@ftp = Net::FTP.new(*args)
@rempath = "/var/www/html/whatever/"
puts "Change dir..."
@ftp.chdir(@rempath)

puts "Upload file..."
@ftp.puttextfile("foobar","foobar-rem") # Hangs here!
puts "Closing..."
@ftp.close
puts "Finished."

ara.t.howard

[...]

@ftp.passive = true ??

-a

ara.t.howard

Quite right, thank you.

Never needed that before. Wonder why I do now.
Not even sure what passive means.

Eventually I'll move this app on to sftp anyway.

Thanks,
Hal

it's kinda confusing - i stumble on it from time to time - probably better to
google it than listen to me. in any case the change would have been due to a
change on the server - not your stuff. probably ;-)

-a