Off topic - .jpg / .jpeg

long eddy

Greetings all,
Using Win98.

When I save a file in My Documents, I can see in "Preview Mode" (on the left
habd side of the screen) - the image when saved with file extension - .jpeg.

However, files saved with the extension - .jpg - cannot be seen in preview
mode.

Is there any way to allow thumbnails to be seen by *both* file extensions -
..jpg and .jpeg - without renaming all of the existing .jpg files to .jpeg?

Thank you very much,
Eddy

dorayme

"long eddy said:
Greetings all,
Using Win98.

When I save a file in My Documents, I can see in "Preview Mode" (on the left
habd side of the screen) - the image when saved with file extension - .jpeg.

However, files saved with the extension - .jpg - cannot be seen in preview
mode.

Is there any way to allow thumbnails to be seen by *both* file extensions -
.jpg and .jpeg - without renaming all of the existing .jpg files to .jpeg?

Thank you very much,
Eddy

Yes, open a .jpg and Get Info (command i) and choose "open with"
and then "change all"

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Yes, open a .jpg and Get Info (command i) and choose "open with"
and then "change all"

Nice try, dorayme, been with a Mac too long. There is not "command" key
in Windows. In Win98 thumbnails in Explorer often would get buggered as
I recall. Been a while, but I think OP my find his answer here.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_011.html
How To: Repair thumbnail image preview in Windows Explorer

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Nice try, dorayme, been with a Mac too long.

er... not really. I really thought I was on a Mac group in my
rush, this is such a typical question I did not notice other
indicators clearly saying it was for win98. Sorry OP.
There is not "command" key
in Windows. In Win98 thumbnails in Explorer often would get buggered as
I recall. Been a while, but I think OP my find his answer here.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_011.html
How To: Repair thumbnail image preview in Windows Explorer

But, you have to admit, it is pretty easy on a Mac. Everything
seems to be easier. Now I know you will say that is to do with
familiarity but there are some objective criteria. No time to go
into this now.

wayne

dorayme said:
er... not really. I really thought I was on a Mac group in my
rush, this is such a typical question I did not notice other
indicators clearly saying it was for win98. Sorry OP.

But, you have to admit, it is pretty easy on a Mac. Everything
seems to be easier. Now I know you will say that is to do with
familiarity but there are some objective criteria. No time to go
into this now.
I believe MAC uses a version of UNIX and Lionux has the same command
structure (mostly) so your answer is correct there as well!

--
Wayne
www.glenmeadows.us

Ben C

I believe MAC uses a version of UNIX and Lionux has the same command
structure (mostly) so your answer is correct there as well!

Not for graphical desktop things like this. Only actual Macs have a
"command" key at all, and the whole graphical desktop environment of a
Mac is different from what you get on Linux (where you have a wide
choice of alternatives, none of them quite like a Mac).

Toby Inkster

wayne said:
I believe MAC uses a version of UNIX

Yes, it uses the Darwin kernel, which is a port of FreeBSD to run on top
of the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is a flavour UNIX[tm].
and Lionux has the same command structure (mostly) so your answer is
correct there as well!

No, it's not at all correct. Although Mac systems run on a variant of
UNIX, the graphical interface layed on top is entirely proprietary to Mac
OS X, and is not available on other versions of UNIX.

Not all UNIX systems have a graphical interface (heck, a UNIX system
doesn't *need* to have *any* interface! Not even a command line
interface!) and those that do, usually use X11. (Mac OS X also includex
X11, as a layer running on top of their proprietary graphical interface.)

So intrusctions for using OS X and other Unices can differ from time to
time, especially for things involving the graphical interface.

J.O. Aho

wayne said:
I believe MAC uses a version of UNIX and Linux has the same command
structure (mostly) so your answer is correct there as well!

OSX and OSx86 uses a Unix like kernel called Darwin (based on both Mach kernel
and BSD subsystem), this makes many programs easy to port from other Unix like
systems, but OSX/OSx86 uses Quartz and not X Windows System (even if it can be
run ontop, in the same way it's done with CygWin for microsoft), which leads
to that there are major differences when it comes to graphical applications
and those can't just be ported, you need to rewrite parts of the graphical code.
In a similar way, QNX uses Photon, so not all Unix like systems uses X Windows
System.

Toby Inkster

Ben said:
Not for graphical desktop things like this. Only actual Macs have a
"command" key at all

Or other computers for which you have purchased an Apple keyboard. :)

Ben C

wayne said:
I believe MAC uses a version of UNIX

Yes, it uses the Darwin kernel, which is a port of FreeBSD to run on top
of the Mach microkernel. FreeBSD is a flavour UNIX[tm].
and Lionux has the same command structure (mostly) so your answer is
correct there as well!

No, it's not at all correct. Although Mac systems run on a variant of
UNIX, the graphical interface layed on top is entirely proprietary to Mac
OS X, and is not available on other versions of UNIX.

Not all UNIX systems have a graphical interface (heck, a UNIX system
doesn't *need* to have *any* interface! Not even a command line
interface!) and those that do, usually use X11.

And on top of X11 they run something like Gnome or KDE. It's those
environments that define most of the "look and feel", including things
like jpeg preview behaviour.