Offline browsing program

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Cogito, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    From a certain web site I have downloaded a file with a file type of
    ..chm that enables to use the entire web site offline. What software is
    used create it?
    Cogito, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Cogito

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:43:42 GMT, Cogito <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > From a certain web site I have downloaded a file with a file type of
    > .chm that enables to use the entire web site offline. What software is
    > used create it?

    That's a M$ HTML help file. Most programs that can create standard help
    files (e.g. RoboHELP) can do that as well.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Cogito

    Pete Lees Guest

    Cogito <> wrote:

    > From a certain web site I have downloaded a file with a file type of
    > .chm that enables to use the entire web site offline. What software is
    > used create it?

    You can create these files with Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop, a free
    utility available from:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

    For more information, see:

    http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/basics.htm
    http://www.mshelpwiki.com/index.php?page=HTMLHelp

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
    Pete Lees, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On 11 Feb 2004 02:47:56 -0800, (Pete Lees)
    wrote:

    >Cogito <> wrote:
    >
    >> From a certain web site I have downloaded a file with a file type of
    >> .chm that enables to use the entire web site offline. What software is
    >> used create it?

    >You can create these files with Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop, a free
    >utility available from:
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp
    >
    >For more information, see:
    >
    >http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/basics.htm
    >http://www.mshelpwiki.com/index.php?page=HTMLHelp

    Thank you very much for the good links.

    I have installed the Microsoft Help Workshop but it looks quite
    involved to actually understand and use it. A steep learning curve
    needed…. :-(

    I have a simple set of several HTML pages that I coded in straight
    HTML using Notepad.
    Could you please give me a few quick pointers as to what I have to do
    to get them into .chm format?
    I promise that once I have some idea what is going on here I will read
    more of the help sites. Right now I feel completely lost. :)
    Cogito, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Cogito

    Pete Lees Guest

    Cogito <> wrote:

    > I have a simple set of several HTML pages that I coded in straight
    > HTML using Notepad. Could you please give me a few quick pointers
    > as to what I have to do to get them into .chm format?

    Here's how to get started:

    1) Open HTML Help Workshop and then, on the File menu, select New.

    2) In the New dialog, make sure that "Project" is highlighted and then
    click OK. This will open the New Project Wizard.

    3) In the first page of the wizard, click Next without selecting the
    Convert WinHelp Project checkbox.

    4) In the second page of the wizard ("New Project -- Destination"),
    click the Browse button and then browse to the directory that contains
    the source HTML files.

    5) In the File Name field at the bottom of the dialog box, type a name
    for the help project. This can be anything you like, but keep in mind
    that HTML Help Workshop bases the initial name of the help file on
    that of the project file. For example, by default, a project file
    called "This is a Test Project.hhp" will produce a help file called
    "This is a Test Project.chm". Better to go for a short name, without
    space characters.

    6) Click Open. This will take you back to the "New Project --
    Destination" page of the wizard, in which the text field should now be
    filled in.

    7) Click Next and then, in the "New Project -- Existing Files" page of
    the wizard, select the HTML Files checkbox. Click Next again.

    8) In the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, click Add and then select
    your source HTML files. You can select multiple files by holding down
    the SHIFT or CTRL key while you click the file names.

    9) Click Open to go back to the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, and
    then click Next.

    10) Click Finish to close the wizard.

    You can now try compiling the help project by selecting Compile on the
    File menu. If the help file doesn't automatically display when the
    compilation has finished, select Compiled File on the View menu.

    You'll probably want to add a table of contents to the help file, and
    maybe also an index and full-text search facilities. For instructions
    on how to do this, see the accompanying online help and also this very
    useful tutorial:

    http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html#char_hhw

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
    Pete Lees, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On 11 Feb 2004 07:45:56 -0800, (Pete Lees)
    wrote:

    >Cogito <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a simple set of several HTML pages that I coded in straight
    >> HTML using Notepad. Could you please give me a few quick pointers
    >> as to what I have to do to get them into .chm format?

    >Here's how to get started:
    >
    >1) Open HTML Help Workshop and then, on the File menu, select New.
    >
    >2) In the New dialog, make sure that "Project" is highlighted and then
    >click OK. This will open the New Project Wizard.
    >
    >3) In the first page of the wizard, click Next without selecting the
    >Convert WinHelp Project checkbox.
    >
    >4) In the second page of the wizard ("New Project -- Destination"),
    >click the Browse button and then browse to the directory that contains
    >the source HTML files.
    >
    >5) In the File Name field at the bottom of the dialog box, type a name
    >for the help project. This can be anything you like, but keep in mind
    >that HTML Help Workshop bases the initial name of the help file on
    >that of the project file. For example, by default, a project file
    >called "This is a Test Project.hhp" will produce a help file called
    >"This is a Test Project.chm". Better to go for a short name, without
    >space characters.
    >
    >6) Click Open. This will take you back to the "New Project --
    >Destination" page of the wizard, in which the text field should now be
    >filled in.
    >
    >7) Click Next and then, in the "New Project -- Existing Files" page of
    >the wizard, select the HTML Files checkbox. Click Next again.
    >
    >8) In the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, click Add and then select
    >your source HTML files. You can select multiple files by holding down
    >the SHIFT or CTRL key while you click the file names.
    >
    >9) Click Open to go back to the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, and
    >then click Next.
    >
    >10) Click Finish to close the wizard.
    >
    >You can now try compiling the help project by selecting Compile on the
    >File menu. If the help file doesn't automatically display when the
    >compilation has finished, select Compiled File on the View menu.
    >
    >You'll probably want to add a table of contents to the help file, and
    >maybe also an index and full-text search facilities. For instructions
    >on how to do this, see the accompanying online help and also this very
    >useful tutorial:
    >
    >http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html#char_hhw

    Thank you very much for helping. It would have taken me a month to
    read enough to get to this point. I suggest that the help section
    should start with this concise description instead of the daunting
    volume of text.

    I used it to create a .chm file. My next question is: how do I tell
    it, which is the starting html file? It seems that instead of starting
    (in my case) with index.html it starts with the last (alphabetically)
    html file.
    Cogito, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:47:26 GMT, Cogito <> wrote:

    >On 11 Feb 2004 07:45:56 -0800, (Pete Lees)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Cogito <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a simple set of several HTML pages that I coded in straight
    >>> HTML using Notepad. Could you please give me a few quick pointers
    >>> as to what I have to do to get them into .chm format?

    >>Here's how to get started:
    >>
    >>1) Open HTML Help Workshop and then, on the File menu, select New.
    >>
    >>2) In the New dialog, make sure that "Project" is highlighted and then
    >>click OK. This will open the New Project Wizard.
    >>
    >>3) In the first page of the wizard, click Next without selecting the
    >>Convert WinHelp Project checkbox.
    >>
    >>4) In the second page of the wizard ("New Project -- Destination"),
    >>click the Browse button and then browse to the directory that contains
    >>the source HTML files.
    >>
    >>5) In the File Name field at the bottom of the dialog box, type a name
    >>for the help project. This can be anything you like, but keep in mind
    >>that HTML Help Workshop bases the initial name of the help file on
    >>that of the project file. For example, by default, a project file
    >>called "This is a Test Project.hhp" will produce a help file called
    >>"This is a Test Project.chm". Better to go for a short name, without
    >>space characters.
    >>
    >>6) Click Open. This will take you back to the "New Project --
    >>Destination" page of the wizard, in which the text field should now be
    >>filled in.
    >>
    >>7) Click Next and then, in the "New Project -- Existing Files" page of
    >>the wizard, select the HTML Files checkbox. Click Next again.
    >>
    >>8) In the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, click Add and then select
    >>your source HTML files. You can select multiple files by holding down
    >>the SHIFT or CTRL key while you click the file names.
    >>
    >>9) Click Open to go back to the "New Project -- HTML Files" page, and
    >>then click Next.
    >>
    >>10) Click Finish to close the wizard.
    >>
    >>You can now try compiling the help project by selecting Compile on the
    >>File menu. If the help file doesn't automatically display when the
    >>compilation has finished, select Compiled File on the View menu.
    >>
    >>You'll probably want to add a table of contents to the help file, and
    >>maybe also an index and full-text search facilities. For instructions
    >>on how to do this, see the accompanying online help and also this very
    >>useful tutorial:
    >>
    >>http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html#char_hhw

    >Thank you very much for helping. It would have taken me a month to
    >read enough to get to this point. I suggest that the help section
    >should start with this concise description instead of the daunting
    >volume of text.
    >
    >I used it to create a .chm file. My next question is: how do I tell
    >it, which is the starting html file? It seems that instead of starting
    >(in my case) with index.html it starts with the last (alphabetically)
    >html file.

    I have solved it myself... I feel like an expret now.....

    Is it possible to have a 'back' button like in a browser?
    Cogito, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Cogito

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:09 GMT, Cogito <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > Is it possible to have a 'back' button like in a browser?

    There is one by default in mine. Though I don't use Help workshop, so
    YMMV.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Cogito

    rf Guest

    "Cogito" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:47:26 GMT, Cogito <> wrote:

    [compiled help files]

    > I have solved it myself... I feel like an expret now.....

    An expret? <grin/>

    > Is it possible to have a 'back' button like in a browser?

    What are you using to view your .chm file? Don't use the help workshop, use
    hh.exe (the standard windows help viewer) which is launched when you double
    click the .chm file.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:25:44 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Cogito" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:47:26 GMT, Cogito <> wrote:
    >>

    >[compiled help files]
    >>

    >> I have solved it myself... I feel like an expret now.....

    >An expret? <grin/>

    I'm just having fun and feeling good for solving my problem.

    >> Is it possible to have a 'back' button like in a browser?

    >What are you using to view your .chm file? Don't use the help workshop, use
    >hh.exe (the standard windows help viewer) which is launched when you double
    >click the .chm file.

    That's exactly what I do. I double-click on the .chm file and
    something starts (hh.exe ? possibly, I don't know). All it has is just
    a standard Windows top bar and that's it. Well of course the web page
    is there too.
    Cogito, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Cogito

    Pete Lees Guest

    Cogito <> wrote:

    > Is it possible to have a 'back' button like in a browser?

    If you want to change the buttons in the toolbar of the help viewer
    then you'll need to create a custom secondary window. For instructions
    on how to do this, see the topic "Creating secondary windows" in the
    online help for HTML Help Workshop (available online at
    http://tinyurl.com/2ps5g). Then you can add or remove toolbar buttons,
    change the size and position of the help viewer, and customise it in
    other ways.

    Mark is right, though; the default window that your help file is
    currently using should already contain a Back button, together with
    Hide, Print and Options buttons.

    If you continue to have problems, feel free to send me your project
    (.hhp) file off-list. I'll be happy to take a closer look at it.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
    Pete Lees, Feb 13, 2004