ON MOUSE OVER - POPUP

Krustov

www.freeviewepg.co.uk/js.jpg

I found a piece of javascript that does what i want in terms of being
able to use html tags .

While the piece of javascript works great - it fills the popup with
content so its instantly available on the mouse over .

But , The webpage is a tv epg and has about 300 entrys , This means the
page fills 300 popups with content and this really slows down the length
of time it takes to display the webpage .

What i'm looking for , Is a peice of javascript that allows me to use
html tags to achieve the same sort of display , But only fills the popup
with content on the actual mouse over .

I know this means it will need to download the content before the popup
gets displayed & thats what i want .

While reasonable with php - i know jack shit about javascript and need
somebody to write the piece of javascript for me - or give the url to a
piece of javascript that is already written and does exactly what i want
as mentioned above .

Erwin Moller

Krustov said:
[...]

Hi,

If you need to fetch your information at runtime (=when the html is loaded
and displayed), you could have a look at AJAX.
It allows you to fetch information from the server and use that.
here is a nice place to start:
http://www.w3schools.com/ajax

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Krustov

<alt.comp.lang.javascript>
<TheBagbournes>
<Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:06:49 +0100>
See http://gabbr.com/

If you click on, say, the headline "Iraq deputy PM hurt in suicide", it pops up the story in a dialog. Loading the dialog dynamically.

You can do the same thing onmouseover instead of onclick.

That pages uses the Ext Ajax library: http://www.yui-ext.com/

See documentation link first!

The user forum: http://www.yui-ext.com/forum/index.php

I dont have the time to learn ajax and opted for another solution .

www.freeviewepg.co.uk/epg.php

Instead of 250 popups i added a column of 25 popups that shows 5-10 tv
show descriptions all in the one popup instead of rolling the mouse over
each individual tv show .

Perhaps in a way the 250 popup slow webpage loading issue did me a
favour as the new method is actually better because you dont need to
move the mouse pointer quite so much .

TheBagbournes

Krustov said:
<alt.comp.lang.javascript>
<TheBagbournes>
<Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:06:49 +0100>

I dont have the time to learn ajax and opted for another solution .

www.freeviewepg.co.uk/epg.php

Instead of 250 popups i added a column of 25 popups that shows 5-10 tv
show descriptions all in the one popup instead of rolling the mouse over
each individual tv show .

Perhaps in a way the 250 popup slow webpage loading issue did me a
favour as the new method is actually better because you dont need to
move the mouse pointer quite so much .

Pugly site! You should take some time to learn how to use *some* kind of UI framework to present such a lot of information!

I'd like to be able to filter that schedule table by channel. A right click context menu on the first column should offer a series of checkboxes to hide/show channel groups.

* Enetertainment
* Films
* Documentaries
* Sport
* Lifestyle

You get the idea.

And then You should be able to filter on time.

All of which is very possible with a much nicer look and feel if you'd put a bit of research and work into it.

And that mess of options at the top! Yuck!

Just look at this example. A simple data grid: http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1.0-alpha3/examples/grid/paging.html

Right click on the column header to be able to show/hide columns

Krustov

<alt.comp.lang.javascript>
<TheBagbournes>
<Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:05:10 +0100>
Pugly site! You should take some time to learn how to use *some* kind of UI framework to present such a lot of information!

I'd like to be able to filter that schedule table by channel. A right click context menu on the first column should offer a series of checkboxes to hide/show channel groups.

* Enetertainment
* Films
* Documentaries
* Sport
* Lifestyle

You get the idea.

And then You should be able to filter on time.

All of which is very possible with a much nicer look and feel if you'd put a bit of research and work into it.

And that mess of options at the top! Yuck!

I dont recall asking for a site critique .

I've put it down to the fact you probably place great value on your own
opinions - even when your opinion isnt actually asked for .