onFocus ?

Wm

I'm trying to find how to set a form field so that when it's selected, all
of the default/existing text in the field is highlighted and deleted when
you start typing. As is, I have a default explanation of what's expected in
a text box, and after clicking into the field they have to delete all of the
explanation before they type. I'm guessing that a mouse-click into the text
box can only place the cursor, and not "select all" as [might be] possible
if someone tabs into the text box...?

Wm

Jerry Park

Wm said:
I'm trying to find how to set a form field so that when it's selected, all
of the default/existing text in the field is highlighted and deleted when
you start typing. As is, I have a default explanation of what's expected in
a text box, and after clicking into the field they have to delete all of the
explanation before they type. I'm guessing that a mouse-click into the text
box can only place the cursor, and not "select all" as [might be] possible
if someone tabs into the text box...?

Wm
onfocus="select();"

David Dorward

Wm said:
I'm trying to find how to set a form field so that when it's selected, all
of the default/existing text in the field is highlighted and deleted when
you start typing. As is, I have a default explanation of what's expected
in a text box, and after clicking into the field they have to delete all
of the explanation before they type. I'm guessing that a mouse-click into
the text box can only place the cursor, and not "select all" as [might be]
possible if someone tabs into the text box...?

You might want to examine the code behind
http://dorward.me.uk/www/ph/test.html

And note that the side effects might be considered harmful if the user
wishes to return to a previous field to edit their answer slightly.