Open external link into DIVs

eddy.pagotto

Hi,
I'm trying to display external link into a DIV (http://
www.google.com/, for example).
I don't want to use IFRAME, because I already tried it and I'm not
satisfied about the results.
How can I simulate IFRAME? Possibly without using Ajax.
I passed all the day looking for scripts that can help me, but
unsuccessfully.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Eddy

shimmyshack

Hi,
I'm trying to display external link into a DIV (http://www.google.com/, for example).
I don't want to use IFRAME, because I already tried it and I'm not
satisfied about the results.
How can I simulate IFRAME? Possibly without using Ajax.
I passed all the day looking for scripts that can help me, but
unsuccessfully.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Eddy

suggest you spend your next day looking into iframes, divs cant help
you here. iframes are the way to go, unless you use server side proxy
script and fill the div with references to the proxied html - which I
suggest you dont unless you are very familiar with server scripting.

bradleyjcooper

What exactly are you trying to attempt? I understand you're wanting to
use an iframe, but what are you trying to accomplish with it? Are you
writing content that you want to update in one spot and it pulls into
another page?

Having a better idea of what you're looking to do can give me a better
idea on what to possibly recommend.

dd

Hi,
I'm trying to display external link into a DIV (http://www.google.com/, for example).
I don't want to use IFRAME, because I already tried it and I'm not
satisfied about the results.
How can I simulate IFRAME? Possibly without using Ajax.
I passed all the day looking for scripts that can help me, but
unsuccessfully.

I've also had the need to do this and the only way I could
get it to work "easily" was using an iframe on the DIV. If
the page that you want to load into that iframe is from a
different domain, then I'm sure you know that it's pretty much
dead in terms of communication with it. All you can do is make
it navigate somewhere else. However, if that page that you're
that's on it. You can call functions in it and get variables, you
can write into DIV's that it has, and it can do the same things
back up to the parent. You can achieve the same thing by
creating a friendly iframe also. Create one that has no src,
then open the document and document.write tags into it. This
is becoming a popular way of using iframes now. You squirt
the HTML directly into the iframe from the parent. I could go
into more detail, but it's iframe based and you're trying to
avoid that. Perhaps it's worth explaining your concerns about
iframes.

bradleyjcooper

Listen, there's no need to be a jackass about this. The request seems
simple, but the request is unclear. There's an underlying application
requirement that is not conveyed in the request. First off, you
shouldn't be using IFrames, Second off you shouldn't use javascript to
do something that really requires some server side code. I was trying
to offer some advice and can do so coherently if I knew a little more
background.

Second off don't listen to people like Randy Webb. These people are
the reason that web apps are in such a poor shape, with hundreds of
lines of unnecessary code and unruly load times. I'll hold my tongue.

Evertjan.

Listen, there's no need to be a jackass about this. The request seems
simple, but the request is unclear.

What are you responding to?

[please always quote on usenet]

shimmyshack

Listen, there's no need to be a jackass about this. The request seems
simple, but the request is unclear. There's an underlying application
requirement that is not conveyed in the request. First off, you
shouldn't be using IFrames, Second off you shouldn't use javascript to
do something that really requires some server side code. I was trying
to offer some advice and can do so coherently if I knew a little more
background.

Second off don't listen to people like Randy Webb. These people are
the reason that web apps are in such a poor shape, with hundreds of
lines of unnecessary code and unruly load times. I'll hold my tongue.

I too tend to look further than the OP's words; however there is some
number of people in this world who perceive things very literally, and
who think that is acceptable, they get frustrated when others do not
provide them with the information they need to make a unambigous and
informative reply, frustrated people tend to lash out in some way.

I thought from reading the tone of the OP, that the app requirement
was just to have "some remote content displayed probably on mouseover
in a little window" and thought the OP couldnt figure out how to style
the iframe.
Regards of the iframe debate [ they have been around almost since the
dawn of browsers and are well supported in most readers ], and not
mentioning server side stuff too much - this is a js ng, and the op
probably doesnt do much ss scripting - an iframe would be the easiest
way for someone to get up and running, for a personal project. Someone
who scripts for a living would be using ajax with some sss to get back
a small amount of content, and would then attach the functionality
unobtrusively. I didnt think the OP would go for that.

Web apps are in a terrible state, and there's loads of ignorance and
laziness, but it is a popular game, everyones uncle knows someone who
can put up a few pages, if he can't do it, why pay a professional!
Standards? what are they.
Bradlet as long as you do the best you can, just sit back and wink. ;)

shimmyshack

[...]

did I just refer to you as Bradlet? sorry!

bradleyjcooper

[...]

Thanks. I'm an advocate of standards and everyday see people passing
around bad work. Just trying to offer some good advice. Thanks!

-Lost

Randy said:
If your mama knew how stupid you were, she would trade you in a pet
monkey.[1]

[1] Fire Down Below.

Woah, crazy coincidence. My bottle of tequila and I just watched Fire
Down Below *last night*!