Open HTML file in IE

gravey

Hello.

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I want to open a HTML
file from my local drive (is generated by another Python script)
in Internet Explorer. I've had a look at the webbrowser module and
this doesn't seem to be what I need. Any help much appreciated.

Larry Bates

gravey said:
Hello.

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I want to open a HTML
file from my local drive (is generated by another Python script)
in Internet Explorer. I've had a look at the webbrowser module and
this doesn't seem to be what I need. Any help much appreciated.

There are several ways. Assuming that IE is your default browser, just do:

import os
os.system('filename.html')

If you want to make certain that IE is launched (and not FireForx or some other
defult broswer) you can do:

os.system("start iexplore filename.html")

(at least this works on my system).

-Larry

brad

gravey said:
Hello.

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I want to open a HTML
file from my local drive (is generated by another Python script)
in Internet Explorer. I've had a look at the webbrowser module and
this doesn't seem to be what I need. Any help much appreciated.

You may try something like this example:

import time
import win32com.client

wie = win32com.client.Dispatch('InternetExplorer.Application')

# Make IE Window Visible.
wie.Visible = 1

# Open this URL
wie.Navigate('www.your_url.com')

# Print 'Busy' while Busy.
while wie.Busy:
print 'Busy'

# Sleep 2 secs, then go home.
time.sleep(2)
wie.GoHome()

# Sleep 2 secs, then go back.
time.sleep(2)
wie.GoBack()

# Refresh the page
time.sleep(2)
wie.Refresh()

# Close IE Window
time.sleep(2)
wie.Quit()

imageguy

Hello.

Apologies if this is a basic question, but I want to open a HTML
file from my local drive (is generated by another Python script)
in Internet Explorer. I've had a look at the webbrowser module and
this doesn't seem to be what I need. Any help much appreciated.

check out the os module.
os.startfile("your_htmlfile.html") should do it.

gravey

You may try something like this example:

import time
import win32com.client

wie = win32com.client.Dispatch('InternetExplorer.Application')

# Make IE Window Visible.
wie.Visible = 1

# Open this URL
wie.Navigate('www.your_url.com')

# Print 'Busy' while Busy.
while wie.Busy:
print 'Busy'

# Sleep 2 secs, then go home.
time.sleep(2)
wie.GoHome()

# Sleep 2 secs, then go back.
time.sleep(2)
wie.GoBack()

# Refresh the page
time.sleep(2)
wie.Refresh()

# Close IE Window
time.sleep(2)
wie.Quit()

Thanks to all who replied. All your approaches work but (!!) the HTML
page that I want to open contains Javascript that parses some
parameters
from the URL. The URL looks like this:

file:///C|/Temp/Google%20Maps/linktothis.htm?lat=45.0&lng=-20.0&zoom=4&type=k

The Javascript gets the URL from the Javascript location object and
parses it. I'm assuming that the location object has some kind of
Windows equivalent that might be set using win32com.client. Can anyone
shed any light on this?

Thanks

7

7stud

The URL looks like this:

file:///C|/Temp/Google%20Maps/linktothis.htm?lat=45.0&lng=-20.0&zoom=4&type =k

The Javascript gets the URL from the Javascript location object and
parses it. I'm assuming that the location object has some kind of
Windows equivalent that might be set using win32com.client. Can anyone
shed any light on this?

Thanks

The location object is just your url. So, if the url of the page you
open in IE is parsed by javascript, then you need to use a url with
the proper information in it.