open-uri: problem handling https?

Randy Lawrence

Hi,

open-uri works great with http but when I use https (same url), it
raises an exception on the open() method.

Is this a known problem anyone else encountered?

System: Ruby 1.8.1 on Linux.

Tanaka Akira

Randy Lawrence said:
open-uri works great with http but when I use https (same url), it
raises an exception on the open() method.

open-uri doesn't support https yet.

I'll make the error message more descriptive.

Randy Lawrence

Tanaka said:
open-uri doesn't support https yet.

I'll make the error message more descriptive.

Thanks!

open-uri really rocks and we love it! But we have to use https so we
can't use it on our current project yet.

Any ideas if it will be implemented in the future or when? We're hoping
it'll make it into the 1.8.2 release.

Tanaka Akira

Randy Lawrence said:
Any ideas if it will be implemented in the future or when? We're hoping
it'll make it into the 1.8.2 release.

Not near future. I'm not sure how open-uri should maintain the set of
root certificates.

Carl Youngblood

You might want to take a look at curl and see how they do it. I
believe they have one big file full of certs somewhere in the path.