openGL and 1.5

nos

The "J2SE 1.5 in a Nutshell" page says
---
Linux and Solaris users who have the latest OpenGL drivers and select
graphic cards can get native hardware acceleration from Java2D using the
following runtime property:
java -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true -jar Java2D.
---
I recently got a Dell laptop with so called
"Intel Extreme Graphics" that includes openGL,
but I don't have any documentation. Will
the J2SE 1.5 distribution from Sun contain
everything I need? One other tiny detail,
I have WIN XP and they don't mention WIN.

Christophe Vanfleteren

nos said:
The "J2SE 1.5 in a Nutshell" page says
---
Linux and Solaris users who have the latest OpenGL drivers and select
graphic cards can get native hardware acceleration from Java2D using the
following runtime property:
java -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true -jar Java2D.
---
I recently got a Dell laptop with so called
"Intel Extreme Graphics" that includes openGL,
but I don't have any documentation. Will
the J2SE 1.5 distribution from Sun contain
everything I need? One other tiny detail,
I have WIN XP and they don't mention WIN.

Swing is already accelerated under windows using DirectX IIRC.

Christophe Vanfleteren

nos said:
Does DirectX use openGL hardware then?

No, DirectX is its own system and has nothing to do with OpenGL.
It does use the 3D hardware if it is available though, if you have an
appropiate driver for your card (most of them are DirectX compatible).