    spreedsheets via python? it seems pythoncom allows this to happen but
    i'm a total newb to it. (i usually work in the unix world)
    all i need to do, is open the xls files and read values from it.
    timmy, Nov 9, 2006

  2. timmy

    John Machin Guest

    timmy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > has anybody got any experience opening and manilpulating excel
    > spreedsheets via python? it seems pythoncom allows this to happen but
    > i'm a total newb to it. (i usually work in the unix world)
    > all i need to do, is open the xls files and read values from it.

    If you really mean "read" rather than "manipulate", have a look at the
    xlrd package (of which I'm the author).

    http://www.python.org/pypi/xlrd

    BTW, it's pure Python; you can run it on your unix box if you like :)

    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Nov 9, 2006

  3. timmy

    timmy Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > timmy wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>has anybody got any experience opening and manilpulating excel
    >>spreedsheets via python? it seems pythoncom allows this to happen but
    >>i'm a total newb to it. (i usually work in the unix world)
    >>all i need to do, is open the xls files and read values from it.

    > If you really mean "read" rather than "manipulate", have a look at the
    > xlrd package (of which I'm the author).
    >
    > http://www.python.org/pypi/xlrd
    >
    > BTW, it's pure Python; you can run it on your unix box if you like :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

    sweet thats what i'd like to do
    timmy, Nov 9, 2006
  4. timmy

    Chris Cioffi Guest

    You can also check out the pyExcelerator project.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator

    It seems to work reasonably well at direct Excel file manipulation.
    However it isn't meant as a VBA replacement kind of thing.

    Chris

    On 11/9/06, at open-networks.net"@bag.python.org timmy <"timothy> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > has anybody got any experience opening and manilpulating excel
    > spreedsheets via python? it seems pythoncom allows this to happen but
    > i'm a total newb to it. (i usually work in the unix world)
    > all i need to do, is open the xls files and read values from it.

    "A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only
    a fool trusts either of them." -- P. J. O'Rourke
    Chris Cioffi, Nov 9, 2006