Opinion on Complexity

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Logan S., Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Logan S.

    Logan S. Guest

    I'd appreciate your opinion of the following situation.

    I just started with a new client and I am now responsible for maintaining
    one of their important ASP.NET 2.0 Web applications.

    One page in it has the following:

    1. over 1,700 lines of HTML/ASP.NET markup in the aspx file.

    2. more than 6,000 lines of C# code in the code-behind

    3. more than 4,000 lines of code in the class that the C# code-behind
    derives from (the inheritance chain is something like
    Page--->Helper--->CodeBehind--->aspx)

    4. the aspx page has a TabPanelContainer from the ASP.NET ajax toolkit with
    5 TabPanels in it.

    5. the aspx page has an UpdatePanel (all ajax calls are done via this
    UpdatePanel mechanism)

    6. five UI controls trigger async postbacks, and are monitored by more than
    60 AsyncPostBack triggers.

    7. other UI widgets include approximately 16 check boxes, 10 drop-down
    lists, 5 ListBoxes, several radio button lists, 15 TextBoxes, dozens of
    labels, and about 10 extender controls from the ASP.NET ajax toolkit (from
    the VS2005 add-on).

    8. The code-behind contains lots of non trivial logic that enables/disables
    shows/hides various UI widgets based on business logic and runtime
    conditions (this thing talks with 5 different SQL Server databases on the
    back end, including the ASPNETProvider database). Extensive and complex data
    validation rules are also implemented.

    9. Many developers have worked on this page over the years - resulting in a
    lack of uniformity in coding standards and conventions.

    To be clear, all of the above are in one single page, not the entire
    application.

    Given the above description, and knowing nothing else, what is your initial
    reaction?

    If I were to state that this thing is difficult to maintain, with
    difficult-to-reproduce UI bugs and behavior, would you be at all surprised?

    Would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect that substantial new
    functionality could *easily* be added to this page?
    Logan S., Mar 11, 2009

  2. On Mar 11, 5:41 am, "Logan S." <> wrote:
    > Given the above description, and knowing nothing else, what is your initial
    > reaction?

    Easy to deploy :)

    > If I were to state that this thing is difficult to maintain, with
    > difficult-to-reproduce UI bugs and behavior, would you be at all surprised?
    >
    > Would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect that substantial new
    > functionality could *easily* be added to this page?

    Well, I think you answered all by yourself. However, if many
    developers found it reasonable, maybe it so?
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 11, 2009