Order forms in webpages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by keggler, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. keggler

    keggler Guest

    Hi,

    I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
    name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
    via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
    simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
    just now)...

    Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
    Javascript within the browser?

    Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
    interogated?

    Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
    coding a bespoke system?

    TIA

    Susan
    keggler, Feb 16, 2005

  2. keggler

    Deryck Guest

    "keggler" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
    > name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
    > via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
    > simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
    > just now)...
    >
    > Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
    > Javascript within the browser?

    You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
    how many of your customers will be using Javascript.

    > Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
    > interogated?

    You may do if you have a large amount of stock.

    > Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
    > coding a bespoke system?

    I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
    I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.

    HTH

    Deryck
    Deryck, Feb 16, 2005

  3. keggler

    Fat Bloke Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:02:11 -0000, "Deryck" <>
    wrote:

    >"keggler" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
    >> name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
    >> via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
    >> simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
    >> just now)...
    >>
    >> Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
    >> Javascript within the browser?
    >>

    >You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
    >how many of your customers will be using Javascript.
    >
    >> Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
    >> interogated?
    >>

    >You may do if you have a large amount of stock.
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
    >> coding a bespoke system?
    >>

    >I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
    >I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Deryck

    Unless you're never going to increase / decrease the items offered,
    unless you're never going to change the price of any of them,
    unless you're never going to change the shipping, etc,
    you really need to consider a database-driven site you can run from your
    desktop.
    Why farff around with half-processing the order client-side and then having
    them send it to you? If the information has to get to you, let your
    customer base input it directly into your server-side database.
    Most webhosting companies offer php and MySQL today. These are virtually
    free and are fairly easy to handle and code for.
    If you want some assistance / advice post to me direct (pull the pins out).
    I'm retired and bored silly, and if it's not too big a project initially,
    I'll do it for you.
    I've done a few you can look at.

    Yooors,

    Iain.

    This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
    Pull the pins out to reply direct.
    Fat Bloke, Feb 16, 2005
  4. keggler

    keggler Guest

    Fat Bloke <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:02:11 -0000, "Deryck" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"keggler" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
    > >> name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
    > >> via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
    > >> simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
    > >> just now)...
    > >>
    > >> Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
    > >> Javascript within the browser?
    > >>

    > >You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
    > >how many of your customers will be using Javascript.
    > >
    > >> Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
    > >> interogated?
    > >>

    > >You may do if you have a large amount of stock.
    > >
    > >> Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
    > >> coding a bespoke system?
    > >>

    > >I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
    > >I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.
    > >
    > >HTH
    > >
    > >Deryck
    > >

    > Unless you're never going to increase / decrease the items offered,
    > unless you're never going to change the price of any of them,
    > unless you're never going to change the shipping, etc,
    > you really need to consider a database-driven site you can run from your
    > desktop.
    > Why farff around with half-processing the order client-side and then having
    > them send it to you? If the information has to get to you, let your
    > customer base input it directly into your server-side database.
    > Most webhosting companies offer php and MySQL today. These are virtually
    > free and are fairly easy to handle and code for.
    > If you want some assistance / advice post to me direct (pull the pins out).
    > I'm retired and bored silly, and if it's not too big a project initially,
    > I'll do it for you.
    > I've done a few you can look at.
    >
    > Yooors,
    >
    > Iain.
    >
    > This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.
    > Pull the pins out to reply direct.

    Thanks so much for your replies Deryck and Iain; Deryck I will look
    into that Javascript cart; and Iain I may very well take you up on
    your kind offer...

    Susan
    keggler, Feb 17, 2005