Order of execution

Dietmar Schindler

Keith said:
Agreed. Any hypothetical consequence short of nasal demons can leave
the impression that there are only a limited number of things that can
possibly go wrong.

"It can scribble over other variables and crash your program."
"Ok, but obviously it can't crash the operating system."
Yes, as far as the standard is concerned, it certainly can.

"It can crash your operating system."
"Ok, but it obviously can't cause any physical damage."
Yes, as far as the standard is concerned, it certainly can -- and
there are real-world examples of this happening.

"It can make demons fly out of your nose."
"Ok, but it ... um ... ok, I won't do that."

A more probable dialog:

"It can make demons fly out of your nose."
"Stop taking those pills, and I might start taking you seriously."

Flash Gordon

Dietmar said:
A more probable dialog:

"It can make demons fly out of your nose."
"Stop taking those pills, and I might start taking you seriously."

I have seen several instances on this group more along the lines of:
"It can make demons fly out of your nose."
"LOL, that explains why my nose hurts so much! OK, I won't do
that."
This is especially the case IMHO when you don't stick to the same
ridiculous example, but instead mix things to give people some variety.

ena8t8si

Richard said:
Roberto Waltman said:

Chapter and verse, please. :)

The Standard doesn't say anything can happen.
What it does say is that it imposes no requirements.
The absence of a requirement does not imply
a guarantee of possibility.

I'm sure you can find the section that defines
the term undefined behavior as easily as the
next person.