os.system question

stanleyxu

Hi All,

I am porting Perl script to Python script. Everything works fines until
calling os.system().

In my script, a number of DOS-commands will be executed.
for new_folder, old_folder in folder_array:
os.system('MD "' + new_folder + '"');
os.system('XCOPY "' + old_folder + '" "' + new_folder + '"');

In Perl, all outputs will be printed in console directly.
But in Python, outputs will be printed in separated cmd-windows.

Is it possible to prevent so many cmd-windows to be opened and let all
output be printed direct in Python shell?

best regards ^^)
--
___
oo // \\

kyosohma

To note this problem occurs when debugging script in IDLE editor.
When I double click on my_script.py, all outputs will be printed in one
console.

--
___
oo // \\

Why are you using os.system for these commands in the first place? You
should be using the os and shutil modules instead as they would be
more cross-platform friendly.

Something like this:

# untested
for new_folder, old_folder in folder_array:
os.mkdir(new_folder)
shutil.copytree(old_folder, new_folder)

Adjust the path as needed in the mkdir call.

See shutil's docs for more info:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-shutil.html

And here's some folder manipulation docs:
http://effbot.org/librarybook/os.htm

By the by, the subprocess module is supposed to be used in place of
the os.system and os.popen* calls: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

Mike

stanleyxu

Why are you using os.system for these commands in the first place? You
should be using the os and shutil modules instead as they would be
more cross-platform friendly.

Something like this:

# untested
for new_folder, old_folder in folder_array:
os.mkdir(new_folder)
shutil.copytree(old_folder, new_folder)

Adjust the path as needed in the mkdir call.

See shutil's docs for more info:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-shutil.html

And here's some folder manipulation docs:
http://effbot.org/librarybook/os.htm

By the by, the subprocess module is supposed to be used in place of
the os.system and os.popen* calls: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

Mike

Thanks Mike,

you have provided another option.

But my question has not been answered yet. The reason, why I use
os.system(), is that I want to avoid accident file deletion by writing a
script. My real script looks like:

# 1. Funtion to execute a command in DOS-console
def execCommand(cmd):
if DEBUG_MODE:
print 'DOS> ' + cmd;
else:
os.system(cmd);

# 2.1 Creates temp folder. Removes it first, if it exists.
if os.path.exists(tmp_folder):
execCommand('RD "' + tmp_folder + '" /S /Q');
execCommand('MD "' + tmp_folder + '"');

# 2.2 Copies all files to the temp folder, that are going to be put in
package.
for source_folder, dest_folder in folders_array:
if not os.path.exists(dest_folder):
execCommand('MD "' + dest_folder + '"');
execCommand('XCOPY \"' + source_folder + '" "' + dest_folder + '" /Y');

The benefit is that, when I set DEBUG_MODE=True, I can see what will be
executed. So that I can make sure that my script will not delete any
other important files by accident.

--
___
oo // \\

Carl Banks

Hi All,

I am porting Perl script to Python script. Everything works fines until
calling os.system().

In my script, a number of DOS-commands will be executed.
for new_folder, old_folder in folder_array:
os.system('MD "' + new_folder + '"');
os.system('XCOPY "' + old_folder + '" "' + new_folder + '"');

In Perl, all outputs will be printed in console directly.
But in Python, outputs will be printed in separated cmd-windows.

Is it possible to prevent so many cmd-windows to be opened and let all
output be printed direct in Python shell?

Consider using the subprocess module instead. It has more options
available than os.system, including I/O redirection, which seems to be
what you need.

In IDLE, you'll have to capture the output of the programs and print
it yourself, since you can't (AFAIK) run a DOS shell in an IDLE
window. Untested:

import subprocess

output = subprocess.Popen('MD "' + new_folder + '"', shell=True,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT).communicate()[0]
print output

Carl Banks

kyosohma

Thanks Mike,

you have provided another option.

But my question has not been answered yet. The reason, why I use
os.system(), is that I want to avoid accident file deletion by writing a
script. My real script looks like:

Technically speaking, the shutil module's copytree function will not
delete ANYTHING if the destination already exists. It will just fail.
You could catch the failed copy with a try/except that prints an
appropriate message detailing the error.
[...]

Carl Banks mentioned the subprocess module too and he pointed out its
output redirection capabilities. I recommend checking those out too.
You may be able to do some redirection by changing where stdout and
stderr print to.

Mike

stanleyxu

Thanks again for your kindly tips.

--
___
oo // \\

stanleyxu

import subprocess

output = subprocess.Popen('MD "' + new_folder + '"', shell=True,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT).communicate()[0]
print output

Carl Banks

Thanks Carl, it works ^^)

--