OS X 1.2 gems install problems

Neil Brandt

If this is the wrong list, please let me know which list I should use.

I'm unable to use gems on this imac, running OS X v. 1.2.8. I guess my p=
roblems are probably due
to this older OS, but I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

I get the following:

[~/Desktop]% sudo gem install fixrbconfig
Password:
Attempting local installation of 'fixrbconfig'
Local gem file not found: fixrbconfig*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'fixrbconfig'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (SystemStackError)
stack level too deep

If I try to reinstall gems itself, it hangs at the point where you see [B=
UG] below:

... lots of stuff here ...
install timer.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
install user_interaction.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
install validator.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
install version.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
<--- lib/rubygems
<--- lib

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a while)...
...done.
No library stubs found.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/encoding.rb:11: [BUG]=20

^CIllegal instruction

Note the "Illegal instruction" part after I press ctrl-C. That was simil=
ar another error I got
trying to use gem originally to install rails.

[~]% sudo gem install rails --remote
Password:
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Illegal instruction

Some google searching suggests that the "Illegal instruction" may actuall=
y be the same as the
stack error in FreeBSD.

But I'm stymied. I'm more of a user level guy. Any suggestions?

Neil

=09

=09
=09