[OT-a bit] Global Assembly Cache

Rob Meade

Hi all,

Apologies if this is deemed the wrong place for my post - wasn't quite sure
where it should go!

Up until this morning things were rosey - and then all of a sudden three of
our apps stopped working on our intranet, all .net apps...and all giving a
similar error - ie, compaining about the "type" (dont have the original
error to hand now)...anyway...it took a while but we eventually realised
what was happening.

The three apps all use a "common class library" which we have installed in
the Global Assembly Cache, when I checked, this had disappeared!

Our server setup consists of two windows 2000 SP4 servers, using Application
Center 2000 SP2 with NLB, we did have the .net assembly being synchronised
across but I have removed this now, as a) after it had disappeared the
synchronisation didn't seem to make it re-appear, a bit odd... and b) I
figured it rules out another problem...

So, I installed them manually and bingo - all the apps are working - up
until about 10 minutes ago - when the exact same problem had happened again!

Repeated the above, and we're running again...

So - anyone have any ideas at all what might cause the assembly in the GAC
to be removed? We ran windows updates this morning and there were a few
patches that went on (couldn't tell you which ones though to be honest).

Also, whilst its only happened twice so I cant yet see a pattern in the
intervals, I wondered whether it might have any thing to do with the
aspnet_wp.exe recycling?

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears, and again, my apologies for your
wasted time if you consider this waaaay OT...

Regards

Rob