OT: Graduate school survey help

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by msoegs06@yahoo.com, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Greetings,
    I hope you will forgive this off topic post. I am a software developer
    and graduate student at the Milwaukee School of Engineering. I am
    conducting research for my master's thesis on the effects of
    outsourcing on knowledge transfer among software engineers. I would
    very much appreciate your help with my research.

    I have a survey that will ask you questions regarding your experiences
    with outsourcing during software projects you have been involved with
    during the past twelve to twenty four months. You must be 18 years or
    older to take this survey. Your participation is strictly voluntary and
    should you decide to participate, you may discontinue your
    participation at any time.

    Your identity will be kept strictly confidential and I will not be able
    to determine who you are by reading your results to the survey. The
    survey will be conducted on an MSOE-hosted website utilizing their
    survey software. I will be sent the results and will not be able to
    track IP addresses or anything of that nature. I am only interested in
    your answers.

    If you would like to help me with my research, please click on the
    following link to take the survey. The survey itself should only take
    15 to 20 minutes at most to complete.

    Thank you for your help and understanding and I apologize for any
    inconvenience my posting may have caused.

    http://www.ioxphere.com/f.asp?A=PWGCHHP&B=DXUWBLQ&C=2

    Regards,

    Barry

    , Mar 24, 2006

  2. writes:
    > Greetings,
    > I hope you will forgive this off topic post.

    [...]

    No, not really.

    Keith Thompson, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Eric Sosman Guest

    wrote On 03/24/06 13:28,:
    > Greetings,
    > I hope you will forgive this off topic post. [...]

    <off-topic>

    Some will, some won't, and the for-or-against
    attitudes will probably not be a random function.
    Thus your sample is not only self-selected but has
    built-in a priori biases, and is therefore incapable
    of supporting valid statistical conclustions. You
    can save yourself a lot of work by just making up
    some results; they'll be just as good as those you'd
    get if you actually ran the survey.

    For my next trick, I'll conduct a random survey
    of attitudes towards firearms regulations. To avoid
    bias I'll select my sample completely at random from
    this National Rifle Association membership list ...

    </off-topic>

    Eric Sosman, Mar 24, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I hope you will forgive this off topic post. I am a software developer
    > and graduate student at the Milwaukee School of Engineering. I am
    > conducting research for my master's thesis on the effects of
    > outsourcing on knowledge transfer among software engineers. I would
    > very much appreciate your help with my research.
    >
    > I have a survey that will ask you questions regarding your experiences
    > with outsourcing during software projects you have been involved with
    > during the past twelve to twenty four months. You must be 18 years or
    > older to take this survey. Your participation is strictly voluntary and
    > should you decide to participate, you may discontinue your
    > participation at any time.
    >
    > Your identity will be kept strictly confidential and I will not be able
    > to determine who you are by reading your results to the survey. The
    > survey will be conducted on an MSOE-hosted website utilizing their
    > survey software. I will be sent the results and will not be able to
    > track IP addresses or anything of that nature. I am only interested in
    > your answers.
    >
    > If you would like to help me with my research, please click on the
    > following link to take the survey. The survey itself should only take
    > 15 to 20 minutes at most to complete.
    >
    > Thank you for your help and understanding and I apologize for any
    > inconvenience my posting may have caused.
    >
    > http://www.ioxphere.com/f.asp?A=PWGCHHP&B=DXUWBLQ&C=2
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Barry

    That is ridiculous. I just answered it using almost the default settings
    the whole way through :)

    I wonder how many people just let the default settings apply and click
    submit, ROTFLOL :)

    And it really stinks... I don't know if the reason is that I'm sitting
    on a macintosh pc but after submitting this shit I get to
    /view/doform.asp homepage and absolutely nothing happens here - just
    white screen. I would at least expect something like: "Thank you for
    participating" or something...

    So if somebody wants to ruin this exercise as a punishment for posting
    off-topic garbage here, they can just submit the whole thing using
    pretty much "default" settings, LOL :)

    Takes 5 seconds...

    Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
    Martin Jørgensen

    Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?=, Mar 24, 2006
  5. John Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I hope you will forgive this off topic post. I am a software developer
    > and graduate student at the Milwaukee School of Engineering. I am
    > conducting research for my master's thesis on the effects of
    > outsourcing on knowledge transfer among software engineers. I would
    > very much appreciate your help with my research.

    <snip remainder>

    Welcome to comp.lang.c.

    JS

    John Smith, Mar 25, 2006