  1. No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

    Just curious. :)
    v4vijayakumar, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Re: I'm from Missouri.

    On 6 mar, 09:53, "v4vijayakumar" <>
    wrote:
    > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
    >
    > Just curious. :)

    It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too. :)

    --
    Marcelo Pinto
    Marcelo Pinto, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Re: I'm from Missouri.

    Marcelo Pinto wrote:
    > On 6 mar, 09:53, "v4vijayakumar" <>
    > wrote:
    >> No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    >> faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
    >>
    >> Just curious. :)

    > It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too. :)

    Old code:

    class A {
    public:
    virtual ~A() {}
    virtual void foo(int); // whatever
    };

    void bar(A* pa) { // library function
    pa->foo(42);
    }

    New code:

    class B : public A {
    void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
    };

    A *pa = new B;
    ..
    bar(pa); // making old code call new code

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 6, 2007
  4. v4vijayakumar

    Pete Becker Guest

    v4vijayakumar wrote:
    > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

    It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
    Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

    --

    -- Pete
    Pete Becker, Mar 6, 2007
  5. v4vijayakumar

    Default User Guest

    Pete Becker wrote:

    > v4vijayakumar wrote:
    > > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    > > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?
    > >

    > It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm
    > from Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

    That's just the sort of hard-headed SOBs that we are.

    Brian
    Default User, Mar 6, 2007
  6. Re: I'm from Missouri.

    On 6 mar, 11:36, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Old code:
    >
    > class A {
    > public:
    > virtual ~A() {}
    > virtual void foo(int); // whatever
    > };
    >
    > void bar(A* pa) { // library function
    > pa->foo(42);
    > }
    >
    > New code:
    >
    > class B : public A {
    > void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
    > };
    >
    > A *pa = new B;
    > ..
    > bar(pa); // making old code call new code

    Thanks Victor, but my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
    the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,
    but it has already been solved by Pete Becker.

    Thank you anyway,

    --
    Marcelo Pinto
    Marcelo Pinto, Mar 7, 2007
  7. v4vijayakumar

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: I'm from Missouri.

    "Marcelo Pinto" <> wrote in message
    bar(pa); // making old code call new code

    > my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
    > the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,

    It's a 'local' expression, which is probably only known
    by (most) people in the U.S. Each U.S. state has a
    'nickname', Missouri's is "The Show-Me State", 'show me'
    describing the (supposedly) prevalent attitude of the
    inhabitants to be "I must see it before I believe it".
    How Missourians achieved this reputation, I don't know.
    I suppose a web search might reveal the history, if
    you're interested.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Mar 7, 2007
  8. v4vijayakumar

    mlimber Guest

    Re: I'm from Missouri.

    On Mar 6, 10:35 am, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > v4vijayakumar wrote:
    > > No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
    > > faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

    > It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
    > Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

    As someone once said, we nerds often confuse clever with funny. ;-)

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Mar 7, 2007