[OT] I'm from Missouri.

v4vijayakumar

No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

Just curious. :)

Marcelo Pinto

No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

Just curious. :)

It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too. :)

Victor Bazarov

Marcelo said:
No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

Just curious. :)

It is [6.10] as a matter of fact. I am curious too. :)

Old code:

class A {
public:
virtual ~A() {}
virtual void foo(int); // whatever
};

void bar(A* pa) { // library function
pa->foo(42);
}

New code:

class B : public A {
void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
};

A *pa = new B;
..
bar(pa); // making old code call new code

Pete Becker

v4vijayakumar said:
No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

--

-- Pete

Default User

Pete said:
v4vijayakumar said:
No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm
from Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

That's just the sort of hard-headed SOBs that we are.

Brian

Marcelo Pinto

Old code:

class A {
public:
virtual ~A() {}
virtual void foo(int); // whatever
};

void bar(A* pa) { // library function
pa->foo(42);
}

New code:

class B : public A {
void foo(int); // new code = new behaviour
};

A *pa = new B;
..
bar(pa); // making old code call new code

Thanks Victor, but my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,
but it has already been solved by Pete Becker.

Thank you anyway,

Mike Wahler

bar(pa); // making old code call new code
my doubt (and I believe the OPs too) was regarding
the expression "I'm from Missouri". That didn't make any sense to me,

It's a 'local' expression, which is probably only known
by (most) people in the U.S. Each U.S. state has a
'nickname', Missouri's is "The Show-Me State", 'show me'
describing the (supposedly) prevalent attitude of the
inhabitants to be "I must see it before I believe it".
How Missourians achieved this reputation, I don't know.
I suppose a web search might reveal the history, if
you're interested.

-Mike

mlimber

v4vijayakumar said:
No, I'm not from Missouri, but I have seen this in the comp.lang.c++
faqs [6.9]. Are there any reasons to keep this with the question?

It's just a bit of humor. Missouri is the "show me" state, so "I'm from
Missouri" here means "I won't believe it until I see an example."

As someone once said, we nerds often confuse clever with funny. ;-)

Cheers! --M