OT: parashift.com down, FAQ not being mirrored

Discussion in 'C++' started by Keith Willis, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Keith Willis

    Keith Willis Guest

    Yo,

    I've been trying to get hold of the definitive FAQ-lite, but parashift
    appears to have been down for some time now. I'm posting this here,
    as I guess email to Marshall is unlikely to get through if his domain
    is down.

    I've been through the list of 'official' mirrors, i.e. those mentioned
    as mirrors within the FAQ-Lite itself, and I think the list could do
    with revising, as some of the 'mirrors' clearly aren't mirroring (or
    in some cases, functioning)!

    Looks like France, Italy, Holland, and Israel are the only ones with
    the up to date version.

    * USA: www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    down

    * Argentina: usuarios.velocom.com.ar/asocarbol/c++-faq-lite/
    down

    * Canada: new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq
    last update 10-2005

    * China: store.noi.org.cn/c++-faq-lite/index.html
    what looks like a chinese language 404 page

    * France: www.ensta.fr/~diam/c /online/c -faq-lite/
    last update 09-2006 (latest!!)

    * Germany: www.dietmar-kuehl.de/mirror/c -faq/
    last update 03-2006

    * Ireland: snet.wit.ie/GreenSpirit/c++-faq-lite/
    down

    * Israel: www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/yechiel/CS/FAQs/c -faq/
    last update 09-2006 (latest!!)

    * Italy: web.tiscali.it/fanelia/cpp-faq-en/
    last update 09-2006 (latest!!)

    * the Netherlands: home.wanadoo.nl/efx/c++-faq/
    last update 09-2006 (latest!!)

    * Poland: klub.chip.pl/b.krzemien/c++-faq/
    last update 05-2005

    * Portugal: republico.estv.ipv.pt/~lbruno/mirror/c++-faq-lite/
    last update 03-2006

    * Spain: geneura.ugr.es/~jmerelo/c++-faq/
    last update 08-2003

    * Sweden: home.swipnet.se/virtpub/lang/cpp/c++-faq-lite/
    access forbidden!

    * Taiwan: www.cis.nctu.edu.tw/chinese/doc/research/c /C FAQ-English/
    last update 06-2005

    * U.K.: burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/cpp/cppfaq/
    last update 03-2000
    --
    PGP key ID 0xEB7180EC

    Keith Willis, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Keith Willis

    arnuld Guest

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:15:29 +0000, Keith Willis wrote:

    > Yo,
    >
    > I've been trying to get hold of the definitive FAQ-lite, but parashift
    > appears to have been down for some time now. I'm posting this here,
    > as I guess email to Marshall is unlikely to get through if his domain
    > is down.

    It is still down :-(

    > * USA: www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > down
    >
    > ... [SNIP]....

    many thanks for mirror list :)

    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/

    arnuld, Nov 1, 2007

  3. On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:48:57 +0500, arnuld wrote:
    >> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:15:29 +0000, Keith Willis wrote:
    >> I've been trying to get hold of the definitive FAQ-lite, but parashift
    >> appears to have been down for some time now.

    >It is still down :-(

    In the meantime you may read the C++ FQA Lite (no typo) which
    "questions the answers found in C++ FAQ Lite":
    http://yosefk.com/c fqa/index.html

    --
    Roland Pibinger

    Roland Pibinger, Nov 1, 2007
  4. Keith Willis

    Keith Willis Guest

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:43:21 GMT, (Roland Pibinger)
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:48:57 +0500, arnuld wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:15:29 +0000, Keith Willis wrote:
    >>> I've been trying to get hold of the definitive FAQ-lite, but parashift
    >>> appears to have been down for some time now.

    >>It is still down :-(

    >In the meantime you may read the C++ FQA Lite (no typo) which
    >"questions the answers found in C++ FAQ Lite":
    >http://yosefk.com/c fqa/index.html

    A mildly entertaining rant, but not particularly useful.
    --
    PGP key ID 0xEB7180EC

    Keith Willis, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Sorry for the outage at parashift.com - I had some DNS problems but have
    finally gotten them straightened out. Might take a few more hours for the
    new DNS info to percolate through the Internet, but you should be able to
    get to the site soon if not already.

    Best,
    Marshall

    Marshall Cline, Nov 1, 2007