OT: Text editors (was Re: Search and replace text in XML file?)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jul 28, 2012.

  1. On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > I highly recommend the use of notepad++. If anyone knows of a better text
    > editor for Windows please let me know :)

    My current preference is SciTE, available on Linux and Windows both.
    It's configured using Lua, has lexers (and thus syntax highlighters
    and auto-indenters) for a huge list of languages (including Python, or
    I wouldn't mention it), and isn't RAM-hungry. It's not bug-free (but
    what isn't), and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports
    UTF-8), but I've found it excellent as both text editor and
    pseudo-IDE.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jul 28, 2012

  2. Chris Angelico

    Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

    .... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

    > UTF-8),

    ?!

    It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).
    And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)
    without problems.

    jmf
    , Jul 28, 2012

  3. Chris Angelico

    Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

    .... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

    > UTF-8),

    ?!

    It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).
    And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)
    without problems.

    jmf
    , Jul 28, 2012
  4. Chris Angelico

    Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:47:24 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

    > > ... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

    > >> UTF-8),

    > > ?!

    > > It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).

    > > And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)

    > > without problems.

    > Okay, I must have misunderstood something then. Was under the
    >
    > impression that it had some internals where it worked only in bytes,
    >
    > and that things wouldn't always work if you used anything other than
    >
    > UTF-8. It's not an issue for me, since UTF-8 suits me just fine, so
    >
    > I've never looked into it. Apologies for the Elmer FUD!
    >

    > ChrisA

    No problem. Important is just to say SciTE works
    fine with many codings.

    Having said this, I think there is probably some
    confusion between the scintilla widget and the editor,
    the application, SciTE using scintilla.

    In the Python world, the ported "scintilla widget",
    wxStyleTextCtrl in wxPython and QScintilla in PyQt
    are working internally in utf-8 and the api's, at least
    in wxPython, work with a byte arithmetic (annoying).
    If I used the PyQt version, I do not remember the status
    with Qt. I prefer the QPlainTextEdit widget.

    For info: http://scintilla.org/

    jmf
    , Jul 28, 2012
  5. Chris Angelico

    Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:47:24 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:

    > > ... and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports

    > >> UTF-8),

    > > ?!

    > > It's my daily plain text editor (Windows) since ? (I don't remember).

    > > And I'm using it for utf-8, utf-16 and cp1252 (my favorite coding)

    > > without problems.

    > Okay, I must have misunderstood something then. Was under the
    >
    > impression that it had some internals where it worked only in bytes,
    >
    > and that things wouldn't always work if you used anything other than
    >
    > UTF-8. It's not an issue for me, since UTF-8 suits me just fine, so
    >
    > I've never looked into it. Apologies for the Elmer FUD!
    >

    > ChrisA

    No problem. Important is just to say SciTE works
    fine with many codings.

    Having said this, I think there is probably some
    confusion between the scintilla widget and the editor,
    the application, SciTE using scintilla.

    In the Python world, the ported "scintilla widget",
    wxStyleTextCtrl in wxPython and QScintilla in PyQt
    are working internally in utf-8 and the api's, at least
    in wxPython, work with a byte arithmetic (annoying).
    If I used the PyQt version, I do not remember the status
    with Qt. I prefer the QPlainTextEdit widget.

    For info: http://scintilla.org/

    jmf
    , Jul 28, 2012
  6. Chris Angelico

    hamilton Guest

    On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, wrote:
    > For info: http://scintilla.org/

    Just did a quick check on scintilla.

    This looks like a single file editor.

    Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

    Thanks

    hamilton
    hamilton, Jul 28, 2012
  7. On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM, hamilton <> wrote:
    > On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, wrote:
    >>
    >> For info: http://scintilla.org/

    > Just did a quick check on scintilla.
    >
    > This looks like a single file editor.
    >
    > Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

    Scintilla is a text editing widget; SciTE is a Scintilla-based Text
    Editor (and is by the same author). The editor wraps up Scintilla with
    facilities for handling multiple files simultaneously (multiple
    buffers/tabbed display/whatever you want to call it).

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jul 28, 2012
  8. Chris Angelico

    hamilton Guest

    On 7/28/2012 4:42 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM, hamilton <> wrote:
    >> On 7/28/2012 1:23 PM, wrote:
    >>>
    >>> For info: http://scintilla.org/

    >> Just did a quick check on scintilla.
    >>
    >> This looks like a single file editor.
    >>
    >> Is there a project like capability in there that I did not notice ?

    > Scintilla is a text editing widget; SciTE is a Scintilla-based Text
    > Editor (and is by the same author). The editor wraps up Scintilla with
    > facilities for handling multiple files simultaneously (multiple
    > buffers/tabbed display/whatever you want to call it).
    >
    > ChrisA

    Ok, so the answer is no.

    Thanks
    hamilton, Jul 29, 2012
  9. On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM, hamilton <> wrote:
    > Ok, so the answer is no.

    In terms of the editor, it's fine; you need only worry about Scintilla
    itself if you're aiming to incorporate it in your own program.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jul 29, 2012
  10. On 28/07/2012 16:51, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    >> I highly recommend the use of notepad++. If anyone knows of a better text
    >> editor for Windows please let me know :)

    > My current preference is SciTE, available on Linux and Windows both.
    > It's configured using Lua, has lexers (and thus syntax highlighters
    > and auto-indenters) for a huge list of languages (including Python, or
    > I wouldn't mention it), and isn't RAM-hungry. It's not bug-free (but
    > what isn't), and has a few limitations (eg it only really supports
    > UTF-8), but I've found it excellent as both text editor and
    > pseudo-IDE.
    >
    > ChrisA

    I use emacs, which is also available for windows
    (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ et al)

    As my work requires mixing between windows, various *NIXes, GUIs and
    terminals, having a common text editor across all is fantastically useful.

    ~Andrew
    Andrew Cooper, Jul 29, 2012