OT: Toward WYSIWYG Web Page Authoring

Frankie

Please note that this is NOT a complaint or any sort of rant - but rather a
serious inquiry about the long-term expectations we can have of the Web and
Internet as a publication medium. I would appreciate your thoughtful
feedback on my observations and question (which appears at the end after
these observations).

The Web as we currently have it is NOT WYSIWYG. I'm specifically referring
to pages that get rendered by browsers - whether based on HTML, XHTML, or
XML. In fact, "good Web page design" specifically separates styling from
content via css (while HTML-specific styling tags like the <FONT> tag have
been depracated). This, by definition, preempts even the *possibility* of
WYSIWYG Web page designer. What you see in the data/content is ASCII text,
more or less. What you get in the browser beyond the data/content is
controlled in large part by the associated css and, separately, browser
settings (e.g. size of font with which to display everything). Never mind
that we don't control the size of the final page (monitors come in a variety
of physical domensions and resolutions). Also consider that Dreamweaver -
arguably the most powerful Web page development tool CLEARLY states in
official documentation that it's not a WYSIWYG editor and that such a thing
is really NOT POSSIBLE on the Web (siting differences in browsers and how
each renders pages according to its own interpretation of the standards as
the primary cause of that fact).

This is all okay for us techies who understand all that and have agreed at
least with ourselves and each other to live with it. This is the "state of
the medium" and I've heard "if you don't like it, then chose another
medium." That's not helpful a helpful statement. An organization may simply
not be able to use another medium to accomplish its objectives.

While the lack of WYSIWYG on the Web is generally not a problem for us
techies, it's definitely a problem for OUR non technical customers and those
who don't understand the basic principle of "separate data/content from
presentation." (i.e., html/xhtml styled with a separate css page, or CSS-P).

This lack of understanding of [the separation of styling from data] is
precisely why it's nearly impossible for "non technical" people to create
attractive Web pages from scratch. It's also why it's nearly impossible for
US TECHIES to create a WYSIWYG Web page editor.

As Web developers, everything about this separation of appearance from
data/content is JUST FINE as long as WE are in the loop. We know what's
going on. But think about the implications of that. This means that in order
to get a truly professional-looking Web page, a Web developer MUST be
involved at some point. No tool (FrontPage, VS.NET, Dreamweaver, etc) can
account for ALL of the relevant factors that go into creating a Web page in
a truly WYSIWYG way.

THE PUNCH LINE HERE - and a significant problem for all of us (techies and
non techies alike) is that we, as Web developers, will never be able to
create a tool that will enable NON TECHNICAL users to create
professional-looking and behaving Web pages *from scratch*. Period. The non
techies are expecting WYSIWYG and are simply NOT CAPABLE of understanding
anything other than WYSIWYG. It's just not available on the Web. That's
simply a SHOW STOPPER for them.

To illustrate the "punch line" described above, think about it from the
point of view of someone who is NOT a Web developer and doesn't want to
become one. He or she could MUDDLE their way through Word or PowerPoint or
PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro or Fireworks Excel and more-or-less create a
document he or she is happy with (slide show, jpeg graphic, Word document,
charts and graphs, etc). At a minimum they will know what it looks like and
what it will look like for everybody else. This same thing can't happen on
the Web as we currently know it. The same user who muddles through Word or
Fireworks or Excel could NEVER muddle their way through ANY HTML editor and
get the equivalent result. They could muddle their way through - but the
resulting rendered page would typically be disastrous (from a purely
technical perspective) and almost certainly NOT result in what the user
wants to create - even on one single browser.

So - my question:
What is the likelihood (and what would it take) of having any true WYSIWYG
Web page development capability on the Web - ever?

-Frankie

Mr Newbie

Great question Frankie.

I think it begs the question, what exactly IS WYSIWYG ?, in your world of
definition is seems to mean that you want a system where developer whether
professional or layman can use a tool and irrespective of what the final
output medium is can produce something which will render on-screen as
identical to the final output.

This could only be possible if the output device monitors printers etc could
all be 'Rendered As 'Equal' by some unique measure. Some kind of fraternal
IWysiwygDisplay interface so to speak.

But do we really need this, or is a close approximation near enough for most
people? Folks generally expect some minor differences in colour depth,
spacing etc between browsers, and as long as it does not look outlandishly
different, then people are usually reasonably happy.

Thinks are getting better as we move forward; pages generally look quite
similar between the later browsers with a few discrepancies here and there.
It's a bit of a pain still to have to test between browsers, as a general
watchword, produce code which has the greatest conforming reach by rendering
to the lowest common denominator of the browser classes your application
supports. Trade-offs are always there to be had unfortunately in a world
where competitive edge forces features which are not unique to make your
product more ubiquitous or saleable.

That's my two euros anyway!

-----------------------------

Frankie said:
[...]

Kevin Spencer

What is the likelihood (and what would it take) of having any true WYSIWYG
Web page development capability on the Web - ever?

First, let me give a brief history lesson, followed by some current events,
and an optimistic theory about the future. After all, it really isn't
logical to talk about the current issue without putting it into historical
context, and it isn't possible to solve a problem without knowing something
about what brought it about.

All of this is due to a chain of events that began with the invention of
HTML and the web browser, less than 2 decades ago. At that time, web pages
were just plain text documents. HTML was markup language derived from SGML,
and a fairly straightforward markup language for doing some fairly simple
formatting of said documents.

HTML had some serious flaws in it, most importantly the use of in-line
attributes that were specifically defined for each type of tag, which made
it unextensible and inflexible. HTML was originally designed to not be too
strict about things like case, closing of tags, placement of tags, etc. My
guess is that this was due to the fact that in the beginning, there were no
GUIs for developing HTML documents, only text editors. This meant that human
error was likely to occur frequently, and the lack of strictness accomodated
humand pretty well. No doubt there's more to it, but this is supposed to be
"brief."

Despite its flaws, HTML became the standard, by means of the Mozilla browser
being the only web browser in existence at the time. However, it wasn't long
before other browsers began to appear. This posed a new problem, due to the
open nature of the Internet, and the lack of a central authoritative agency
to determine standards. New browsers introduced new proprietary tags, and
new ways of interpreting HTML, and competition led to the infamous "browser
wars," most notably typified in the struggle for supremacy between Microsoft
and Netscape, which didn't really resolve any issues about web browsers or
HTML.

As the popularity of the WWW increased, HTML was upgraded, and its
capabilities were expanded. All of this happened within the context of HTML
being seriously flawed.

It wasn't long before the flaws in HTML began to cause some serious
problems. As HTML expanded, it became more complex. New tags and attributes
were added, using the same not too strict model, and of course there were
even more flawed HTML documents in proliferation on the WWW. HTML documents
were becoming unweildy, cryptic, and more and more difficult to parse
correctly. The complexity of the language, and the demands of the market
brought about the development of various HTML editing software, with a GUI
for developing HTML, advertised (somewhat deceptively) as WYSIWYG.

Of course, even at the time of the first GUIs for developing HTML, WYSIWYG
was already an impossible goal. New versions of HTML were appearing every
several years. New browsers were appearing every several years. Existing
browsers were being upgraded every several years. And finally, because of
the extant limitations of HTML, combined with market demand for more and
more functionality, browser manufacturers were adding proprietary markup to
their browsers, and, by association, more "flavors" of HTML were emerging
every several years.

The first serious attempt at a rescue, and currently the most popular
solution, was the advent of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). CSS enabled
style-centric and functionality-centric markup to be removed from HTML
elements themselves, and placed into a separate style sheet. This meant that
a web document had the capability of being as extensible as possible,
adapting to new enhancements to the language, without revising the HTML
itself. Only the style sheet needed to be changed. This was a very hopeful
move towards a solution. However, it was not extensible enough, nor did it
provide the most optimal separation of logic, content, and style. And of
course, there were and are still legacy HTML documents out there all over
the place. So, CSS, while providing a bit more sanity to the mix, is still a
temporary and incomplete fix.

Browser manufacturers have been somewhat slow to catch up, mot notably
Internet Explorer of late. However, IE's lateness can be accounted for by
its release cycle, which has been seriously delayed since IE6. IE 7 is
slated to come out soon, though, and things ought to become more or less
equal, and still present problems. After all, how much of the WWW is using
CSS? The only possible answer is, more every day.

Still, CSS is a stop-gap measure, a good one nonetheless, but not the best.
The best answer has emerged in the form of XML. XML (Extensible Markup
Language) is just what it sounds like: an infinitely extensible, infinitely
applicable markup language, which can be used not only for web page
authoring, but an unlimited host of other purposes, such as data storage,
other types of document markup, and other forms of web messaging. In fact,
XML is the backbone of SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol), which enables
objects to be accessed across the Internet via HTTP in a
cross-platform-compatible format.

XML has been going through quite a few changes as well. XSLT is the XML
equivalent of CSS, and presents the most comprehensive and extensible
solution for the problems that CSS addresses. One of the greatest
attractions of XML is its core simplicity. The rules of XML are few. It is,
however, strict in format, unlike HTML. This will eventually simplify the
browser development process considerably. No longer will browser
manufacturers have to make incredibly difficult decisions regarding how to
handle poorly-formed markup, whether or not to take which of the document
headers seriously, and what to do in this special case, or that one.

XML allows totally granular control over markup, which means that, as the
demands for ever-more-sophisticated functionality over the WWW increase, XML
will be able to handle these demands without any modification of the
standard. It therefore provides stability, in addition to extensibility. It
is, to coin a phrase, "the greatest thing since sliced bread."

My theory is that, over the next decade or so, XML will replace HTML on the
WWW, and the current issues will disappear (only to be replaced by new and
different issues, of course!). This sort of thing has happened before, and
will happen again. In the meantime, as always, deal with it.Or, as the young
lady says, "I say live it or live WITH it!"

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Frankie said:
[...]

Thanks Kevin for taking the time. Your response was, as usual, very helpful
and insightful.

-F

Frankie said:
[...]

OP's name mentally stored for future reference :-|