OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Dec 9, 2011.

  1. I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
    validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot out of
    their sockets, there were so many.

    And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    warnings.

    Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
    (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &). I guess that's not too bad,
    considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good example of
    what NOT to do.



    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services - http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/
    The Good Plate - Fresh Gourmet Recipes - http://the-good-plate.com/
    Please respond to the group so others can share

    ..
     
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 9, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 9, 12:04 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
    > validator and was astounded by the amount of errors.  My eyes shot out of
    > their sockets, there were so many.
    >
    > And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    > warnings.
    >
    > Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
    > (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &).  I guess that's not too bad,
    > considering there are 6,193 lines.  It's just a mess - a good example of
    > what NOT to do.


    Yes, this tops the number of errors I have ever seen on a web page.
    The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
    page with script turned off. The JavaScript snow effect reminded me of
    one often used about 10+ years ago. It is a "new and improved" snow
    script that is very long and has many options. The script may be
    viewed at http://www.airliners.net/js/snowstorm.js . I nearly fell off
    of my chair laughing when I looked at the Properties near the top of
    the script. One line says:
    this.snowColor='#fff'; //Don't eat (or use?) yellow snow . Also the
    site of the owner of the snow script is quite different from the
    usual. This "improved" snow Javascript did require quite a bit of
    talent to write. However, you can do much more with a Java snow
    script. One of the most complex Java applets I have seen produces
    snow, wind, drifting mist, thunder and a marquee like effect, all of
    which may be self started.
     
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 10, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Dec 9, 12:04 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    ....
    > > And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    > > warnings.
    > >

    ....
    > The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
    > page with script turned off.


    Yes, it was the first thing I did and basically only to turn off
    the snow but this had consequences. I hope the web site maker is
    never allowed anywhere near the aircraft maintenance section or,
    God forbid, the cockpits.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2011
    #3
  4. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9FB6668B07D2Farbpenyahoocom@88.198.244.100>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    > warnings.


    Perhaps not many of these errors - as opposed to crummy design -
    cause the significant user end troubles I am seeing?

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2011
    #4
  5. cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > this.snowColor='#fff'; //Don't eat (or use?) yellow snow

    ↑
    |
    Huskies go here----+

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 10, 2011
    #5
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" wrote in message
    news:Xns9FB6668B07D2Farbpenyahoocom@88.198.244.100...

    > I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
    > validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot
    > out of their sockets, there were so many.


    > And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    > warnings.


    > Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147
    > errors (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &). I guess that's not
    > too bad, considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good
    > example of what NOT to do.


    Amazing. The "snow" caused the horizontal scroll bar to appear and
    disappear, and my Norton 360 flagged "high CPU usage". I had a peak at the
    HTML, and most of it is OPTIONs for the "search engine". ISTM such
    information should be in a database and not hard coded in HTML. Another
    oddity is duplicate </body> and <html> tags at the end.

    What is "Demand Media Network"? The banner is not clickable. Are they the
    ones that made this thing?

    Otherwise, it is an interesting website.

    Paul
    www.muttleydog.com
    ..
     
    P E Schoen, Dec 10, 2011
    #6
  7. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 10, 5:44 pm, "P E Schoen" <> wrote:

    > Amazing. The "snow" caused the horizontal scroll bar to appear and
    > disappear, and my Norton 360 flagged "high CPU usage".


    The problem with the scroll bar likely is in the snow script. Some of
    the snow flakes likely move out of the range of the maximum screen
    dimensions that can be viewed and this causes the scroll bar to appear
    in an attempt to allow you to scroll and view it. The solution is to
    write the script so that it does not allow any snow flakes to move out
    of the range of maximum dimensions for which the monitor screen is
    set. This, among other things, requires that you consider that
    different monitor resolutions may be used. The moving scroll bar was a
    very common problem for many old dhtml scripts. You would need to test
    your page at several resolutions on different browsers to make sure
    your dhtml script does not have "scrollitus". Also, back in IE4 and
    NN4 days when modern JavaScript was just being introduced, you had to
    often write three versions of script to work on most versions of
    browsers then being used. In addition to modern Javascript , you had
    to use document.all for IE and document.layers for NN, among many
    other things, to produce dynamic dhtml effects. As for the high CPU
    usage warning, that modern snow script is moving many more snowflakes
    at the same time than was common many years ago. Each tiny bit of
    movement for each snowflake must be computed using JavaScript math
    functions resulting in very heavy CPU usage. On a much slower computer
    that you might have used 10 years ago, the motion might slow down to a
    near stall, or the computer might crash.
     
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 11, 2011
    #7
  8. On 12/10/2011 05:02 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 12:04 pm, Adrienne Boswell<> wrote:
    >> I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
    >> validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot out of
    >> their sockets, there were so many.
    >>
    >> And the winner is...<http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
    >> warnings.
    >>
    >> Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
    >> (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping&). I guess that's not too bad,
    >> considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good example of
    >> what NOT to do.

    >
    > Yes, this tops the number of errors I have ever seen on a web page.
    > The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
    > page with script turned off. The JavaScript snow effect reminded me of
    > one often used about 10+ years ago. It is a "new and improved" snow
    > script that is very long and has many options. The script may be
    > viewed at http://www.airliners.net/js/snowstorm.js . I nearly fell off
    > of my chair laughing when I looked at the Properties near the top of
    > the script. One line says:
    > this.snowColor='#fff'; //Don't eat (or use?) yellow snow . Also the
    > site of the owner of the snow script is quite different from the
    > usual. This "improved" snow Javascript did require quite a bit of
    > talent to write. However, you can do much more with a Java snow
    > script. One of the most complex Java applets I have seen produces
    > snow, wind, drifting mist, thunder and a marquee like effect, all of
    > which may be self started.
    >
    >


    That damned snow script sends my dual core into overdrive.

    Script off = 1 GHz
    Script on = 3.2 GHz

    Uggh!

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062
    AMD64X2 6400+ Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
     
    Norman Peelman, Dec 11, 2011
    #8
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    P E Schoen Guest

    Re: Validation Markup Errors Winner

    "Norman Peelman" wrote in message news:jc1iaj$ou8$...

    > That damned snow script sends my dual core into overdrive.


    > Script off = 1 GHz
    > Script on = 3.2 GHz


    > Uggh!


    Actually, it is trying to heat up the CPU to melt the snow :)

    It caused a warning from my Norton 360 of high CPU usage. So unnecessary.
    Would it be possible to use an animated GIF as a background? I'm not curious
    enough to try it, but it seems like a better option than a huge JavaScript
    function apparently controlling the movement of each flake. I don't know why
    they even need snow for an "airliner" web page. Probably something the web
    designer thought was "cool".

    Paul
    www.muttleydog.com
     
    P E Schoen, Dec 13, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alex Mizrahi
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    717
    Uche Ogbuji
    Jul 16, 2004
  2. Doug Holton
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    481
    Timothy Fitz
    Aug 15, 2004
  3. Jeff Rush
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    257
    Diez B. Roggisch
    Sep 3, 2007
  4. Martin
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    529
    Martin
    Apr 2, 2008
  5. James Kanze
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    453
    gwowen
    Apr 7, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page