[OT] Which technology is most appropriate for this web application?

Discussion in 'Java' started by annunaki, May 25, 2005.

  1. annunaki

    annunaki Guest

    I apologise for this post which is probably off-topic but I am not
    making much progress after several days of research. If there is a more
    appropriate ng, please respond and I will repost this message there.

    I have several client applications (behind firewalls) connecting to my
    application over the internet. I want to be able to periodically "push"
    data from the server to the clients (ala observer pattern). Ideally the
    clients will subscribe to "topics" of interest and then the server will
    notify the subscribers - i.e. push the relevant data to the clients as
    and when the data changes at the server end. This is in effect, a kind
    of "JMS over HTTP".

    Are there any existing Java libraries/technolgy can I use?. Do I have to
    write my own?.

    PS: I have discounted Pushlets because of security and other issues
    JGroups seems good, but it is not clear if there is a limit on the
    number of members in a group, and if performance degrades as there are
    more members added to a group - any information on this would be very
    much appreciated.

    Thanks
    annunaki, May 25, 2005