Outputting entity references in XUL attributes with XSL

Paquette.Jim

Hello,

I'm trying to get XUL output with an element that has an attribute
containing an entity reference. Can this be done? I saw another post
exactly like this...but the solutions they gave didn't work for me.

[-------------XML------------]

<contextMenu>
<building />
<contact/>
<company/>
</contextMenu>

[-----------XSL---------------]
<xsl:eek:utput method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"
indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="contextMenu">
<menuitem>
<xsl:attribute name="label" disable-output-escaping="yes">
&amp;context.add.<xsl:value-of select="name()" class="text" />;
</xsl:attribute>
</menuitem>
<xsl:template>

<building />
<contact/>
<company/>
</contextMenu>

[-----------expected XUL---------------]
<menuitem label="&context.add.building;">
<menuitem label="&context.add.contact;">
<menuitem label="&context.add.company;">

[-----------actual XUL---------------]
<menuitem label="&amp;context.add.building;">
<menuitem label="&amp;context.add.contact;">
<menuitem label="&amp;context.add.company;">

Joseph Kesselman

As you've discovered, text content that contains an ampersand is *NOT*
the same thing as an entity reference until it's been converted all the
way to a text string and reparsed from that.

XSL 2.0 may be able to construct "real" entity references; I don't think
XSL 1.0 can do so.

Oleg Tkachenko [MVP]

Paquette.Jim said:
I'm trying to get XUL output with an element that has an attribute
containing an entity reference. Can this be done? I saw another post
exactly like this...but the solutions they gave didn't work for me.
<xsl:attribute name="label" disable-output-escaping="yes">
&amp;context.add.<xsl:value-of select="name()" class="text" />;
</xsl:attribute>

Unfortunately disable-output-escaping doesn't work on attributes:

"It is an error for output escaping to be disabled for a text node that
is used for something other than a text node in the result tree. Thus,
it is an error to disable output escaping for an xsl:value-of or
xsl:text element that is used to generate the string-value of a comment,
processing instruction or attribute node;"

You can do this with XSLT 2.0, can you use XSLT 2.0?