overloading and data driven

bpatton

I'm looking for some method that will allot the data to choose the
function, not have a function decide if it is right for the data. I
know this sounds very confusing, but I'll try and explain.

I'm trying to write a language to represent some layout rules for the
verification of physical layout data.
my main goal is to create regression data from the rules
The language is expected to have @ 100 words.
An example and very simple
MET1 spacing to CONT is >= 50

2 layers (upper case) MET1 and CONT
one function "spacing to"
one operator >=
one value 50
and one filler word 'is'

There are many more very complex statements.
Standard programming
if ($var1 eq 'spacing to'
&& ...
&& not (...

This can get very hairy.
I've looked at CLIPS where the facts are represented
Here is an example of a clips fact
(rule 2b1 MET1 spacing to cont >= 50)

The rule
(defrule xxx
(rule ?rule ?l1 spacing to $l2 ?oper $val)
=>
do some neat stuff
)

In this example the data has selected the function, not a function
looking at the data and deciding if it can use it through a series of
if/then/else.
It's also my concept of how lex/yacc might work. The data finds the
correct function.

lex/yacc would provide me with a strong syntax checker and provide the
link with data driven function selection, bit I would like to stay away
from compiled programs. Sooner or later I have to put a gui and a
connection into Oracle for this bad puppy and I don't have a clue how
all this will fit together.

Bob Walton

bpatton said:
I'm looking for some method that will allot the data to choose the
function, not have a function decide if it is right for the data. I
know this sounds very confusing, but I'll try and explain.

Your submission appears to have no Perl content. You might have better
luck with your topic on a newsgroup better suited to it. This newsgroup
is for the discussion of Perl.